Tuesday, September 16, 2014

When The Fog Settles In

I saw it this morning.  And on a morning when things weren't going as planned.

And this mama doesn't get it right so much of the time.  I fail.  Every single day I fail.

I can sit in a theatre surrounded by 11,000 other God-fearing women and still get it wrong.  Because even though we praise on the weekend... Monday comes.  And the hard work is still required of us.  Even then.  Especially then.  And I still get it wrong.

Some mornings the alarm clock sounds and it's a struggle to open my eyes.  To muster the courage to begin again.  Because it really does take courage, doesn't it? 

And on this morning it's all going wrong.

I am up later than I want to be.
I don't have time for scripture.
I dismiss the idea of praying.

Oh and I need to pray.  Especially today.  I need to pray!
But I don't.

And the living room lamp needs a new light bulb.
Wasn't I going to do that yesterday?
And when my eyes adjust and can focus I see it there.  In a pile on the living room rug.  A dog who has apparently gotten sick in the night.
And why again?  Why THAT spot?  Again?

And the lunches need packed.
And the water from dog dishes spills over from the sink.
And that shirt didn't get washed that I had wanted to wear.

And the clock is still ticking.
Only at warp speed now.
And we're late getting to school.
And the trash still needs to be taken out.
And the new shoes don't fit right.

And I feel my heart rushing.  Panic mode. 
And like a rush of hot lava I let the overwhelmingness of the morning trump my faithfulness and gratitude for another day I don't even deserve.

And pulling away from our home I see it.
There in the distance like a veil of confusion.


The fog

Some days the fog settles in and blinds us to the greatness of God.  And on this morning it was.  And the enemy was working hard to distract me from the grace gifts.

And I read it there in print... Fog is defined as, 
"A state of mental confusion or unawareness; to confuse or obscure. To dim, blur, darken, or muddle." 
And the fog blocks our view.  It disables us from seeing the miracles and the wonder.  And how easily we forget.

So that's when the real work is required. To keep fighting to see even in midst of uncertainty. That's when we must hold tight to His promise that, "The Lord is faithful; He will strengthen you and guard you from the evil one."  {2 Thess 3:3}


The fog.

When the fog threatens to envelop and confuse, we must stand firm and be encouraged that God is working still and that the fog only lasts for a short time. And, "...joy comes in the morning." {Ps 30:5}

And so on this day I decide that I am going to keep fighting to see the goodness and grace.  God's goodness and God's unmerited grace.  Because the fog will lift and clarity will come, but we must keep fighting for joy.

Because I have read the end of the story.  And friends... the fog doesn't win.  And although the enemy comes only to "kill and steal and destroy", our God of mercy comes so, "that we may have life and have it abundantly."  {John 10:10}

And I want the abundant life!

And I realize that an abundant life is still the life that isn't perfect.  It's still the life that messes up and fails daily.  It's a life of alarm clocks on the third snooze, the life of spilled water and burnt toast.  It's a life of dirty piles of clothes and worn out mamas just trying to keep it all together.  An abundant life is the life that yields to a God who is greater than any obstacle we will ever face.  A life that accepts His grace for another day and acknowledges that by His strength we are made complete.

The fog is only temporary.  But His love... His love is forever and ever and ever.

Finding JOY in the JOurneY,


3 comments:

  1. Thanks Wendy! Great encouragement -- God wins and so do we! Through our difficulties may we always remember...God's grace is sufficient for all things! Keep pressing on....full throttle....walking with the King!

    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this SO much Wendy! World without end...AMEN !

    ReplyDelete