Friday, November 1, 2013

November Gifts

It's November.

That means that my third favorite month of the year is here... followed by October (1st) and December (2nd).

I love November.

I love the leaves falling, the cooler weather, the darker evenings.

But one thing I have always struggled with about the month of November is how it is perceived by so many people.  Especially where I'm from - southern Michigan.

And here is what I hear a lot... "I love fall, but I hate what comes after it."

And that's not fair.  For November.

Those who are unfortunately displeased with snow season, are missing out on so much beauty and wonder that November holds.

As my daughter and I were watching Monster House last night, something struck me.  It's the little girl in the beginning of the movie who is portrayed in the opening credits.  I have since been made aware that it's called "Elisa's Song" and it's my favorite part of the whole movie.

Here is the clip:



What stuck me so about this little girl is her attitude and perspective.

Did you catch her wonder and excitement and enthusiasm while riding her bike down the sidewalk?

"Hello fence!"  "Hello leaves!"  "Hello sky!"

Wonder.

And I wonder.

Where did that awe and admiration for the simple things go?
Why don't I feel like this most days?

When life is hard and days are messy... when milk is spilled and boiling pots run over and moms yell and children fight... where is this kind of awe and wonder?

"I like it now... but I don't like what comes after."

Then should we stop enjoying the now because of what follows?

Should we stop seeing the beauty in the everyday... ordinary moments of life?

Like fences?
And leaves?
And sky?

I'm tired of missing the ordinary things.  Because IN those things... in those seemingly small and insignificant things... I find joy.  Contentment.

And being thankful for those small seemingly insignificant things makes my life large and makes me yearning to discover more.

And there is more!

What if we changed the way we SAW things?

Like fences and leaves and skies?

What if in this crazy, messed up world, we began seeing the simple things as big things.

Gifts.

Because they are all gifts.

Even November is a gift.

That third favorite month... neatly tucked between two other favorites.
Like the middle child.
And how often does she feel forgotten?

I don't want to miss anything.

I don't want to miss the small things... the gifts.

The ladybug on the window sill - God cares for the small and weak!
My daughter's hair ties - God's greatest gift to me!
My dirty crock pot - God's provision and the family who loves!

I want to see the little things too.

And so during this month... the one known to many as the "Thankful Month"... may I not paint wide strokes of thanks, forgetting that the small things... because they... they are gifts too.

Everything is a gift.

And I... I am so thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment