Thursday, February 11, 2016

Stay Focused



Recently my daughter performed in an all-area High School musical production at our local community theatre.  She had the time of her life participating in something she'd worked so hard on for so long.

As is tradition for this particular theatre, the evening before opening night, they brought in a host of invitees from the community to serve as a "guest" audience, allowing for some good interaction, preparing the students for a "live" audience the following night.  Some of those invited included local nursing homes as well as special needs centers from around the city where we live.

It's always fun to see these individuals enjoying a "big night on the town".  Their sincerity and authenticity is unique - making their perspective and their presence a vulnerable time for the cast.

My daughter recalls one time during an opening number, where there was much dialog intermixed with singing and dancing, when a couple individuals yelled pretty loudly during her monologue.  Admittedly, she remembers this making it extremely difficult for her to concentrate on her lines.  She continued in her own 15-year-old words, "It really messed me up.  It was so hard for me to focus on what I was supposed to say."  Of course the kids were able to continue, interruptions included, and went on to have a wonderful last dress rehearsal.

But that got me thinking... What is it that we are focusing on?

So often we are focused on the wrong things.
So often we allow the wrong things distract us from our calling.

As a believer, I find this a sad reality in my own life more times than I would care to admit.  I allow myself to focus on unnecessary things:
  • the negative opinions of others
  • the amount of money in my bank account
  • the number on the scale
  • the amount of likes on a Facebook post
  • the people who have offended me
  • the health issue that scares me
And the truth is that none of these things are bad to think about - in moderation.  But danger arises when we stay FOCUSED on the things that hold us captive and keep us from growth.

Jesus came to this world to do the will of His Father.  According to John 6:38-40,
"For I have come down from heaven to do the will of God who sent me, not to do My own will. And this is the will of God, that I should not lose even one of all those He has given me, but that I should raise them up at the last day. For it is my Father’s will that all who see His Son and believe in Him should have eternal life. I will raise them up at the last day.”
Jesus knew His mission and during the course of His life here on earth, never strayed from that mission.  He was never distracted from His calling.

He didn't let what others said about Him distract Him.  He never let the hate and rejection keep Him from fulfilling His life's work.

He remained steadfast and focused.  And we must do the same.

We have a choice.  We can keep focused on the things that threaten to steal our joy and keep us tightly bound to fear and intimidation, or we can keep our eyes laser focused on Jesus and the road He has mapped out for us.  His ways are always wiser.  His plan is greater than our pain.

Let's make the better choice.

Stay focused my friend!

Finding JOY in the JOurneY,




No comments:

Post a Comment