Thursday, January 5, 2017

Intentional Investment

And I have been wrestling with this for months now.

Intentional Investment.

Because in this crazed me-first world, we can get so far off track from where Jesus intends for us to be.  Because... He was intentional.  He made time.  He stooped low.  A baby born in manger... a humble beginning that beckons a close examination.  Because He could've come as a King... a Warrior... a Giant among weak men... but instead we see Him enter the story of humanity through the service entrance.  We see Him strip away His "rights" to be broken and bled out for a world that didn't even welcome Him.

And this was intentional investment.  He came... He chose... He gave... He surrendered... He served... He yielded... because this was the way all along.

Intentional - done on purpose, deliberate.
The Father who could have rejected the ignorance of mere man... the One who could have turned His back on all who refused to believe.... didn't.  His way was intentional.  Impractical.  Inconvenienced. He lived His life by way of interruption which spoke of His grace and mercy and love.  Impossible love made possible.

And could that be the way I live my life?  This year?  A new year.  A new beginning.  One filled with hope for all that lies ahead.  Because this one life is all I have.  One life.  It's all I have.  And with everything in me I desire to make investments... intentional investments... that will outlive my short years here on planet earth.

Because I heard it said once, something that so resonated deep within my heart... "It's only your sacrifices that show up at your funeral."  And if this is true then there's way more work to be done.  Phone calls that need to be made, visits that need to happen, letters that need to be sent.  Who needs to hear from me?  Who needs help from me?  Who needs to be served?  Because my mission as a Christ-follower is to make His name famous.  And behaving so removed from the reality of the painful world around us... the one that is absolutely hemorraghing without Him... is behaving like I, myself, don't believe in the very thing I claim to put my trust in above everything else.

Investment - an act of devoting time, effort, or energy to a particular undertaking with the expectation of a worthwhile result.
Worthwhile results?  Ahh yes... there it is.  His words spoken directly to my weary soul, "Well done, good and faithful servant."  Because when I stand before the gates of eternity, sweat on my forehead from the breaking and the giving and being Jesus to a world that didn't know... it is my one desire to hear Him say these words.

I must decide to live broken... so that the pieces of my fragmented self... the pieces of intentional investment... the pieces of willing servitude... permeate this fallen place.  Lord - when they see me, will they see You?  I am radically desperate for that.  Yes... that!

So - join me will you?  Don't let that relationship die!  Don't surrender to this idea that life is better lived closed in.  Don't go to bed angry.  Don't let unforgiveness reside within you.  Don't forget to ask the hard questions... Are you okay?  Why did you leave?  How are you, really?  Don't leave things unsaid.  Don't question intentions of others.

Be intentional.  Get your hands dirty.  Involve yourself with more than the four walls you've penned yourself in.  Invest.  Invite others into your story.  Be authentic.  Take the time to listen.  Devote yourself to something that will live decades after the days of your life come to an end.

This year I will do it.  I will live with intentional investment.  Because it's His story I'm responsible for making famous.

<3  Marching Boldly Toward Home Plate....

Wendy




No comments:

Post a Comment