Friday, January 5, 2018

May I Fail To See

I’m not sure I’d thought about it before yesterday.

And I know I’ve never prayed it quite like this before.

“Lord, might I fail to see.”

But sometimes a passage of scripture will cause me to stare long and meditate deep.

And this one did.

Micah 7:18… He, “pardons the guilt of the remnant, overlooking the sins of His special people.”

And I look up the word pardon in the dictionary. 

Not because I don't know what it means… but because I have to see more clearly the way He communicates to this weary soul.  Always the hunter for deeper meaning.

And I pull our the verbs… the action words…

Pardon.  According to Webster’s Dictionary, it means this… “to release from liability for an offense; to cancel a debt.

Overlook.  To fail to notice; to excuse.

Wait a minute.

“Fail to notice.”

He fails to notice my sin?

Yep.

He chooses to look the other way because the Word tells us that He, “delights in showing unfailing love.”

And if I am made in His image… an image-bearer… then shouldn’t I, too, be failing to notice?  Failing to take notice of the faults and failures of other people?  Failing to take notice of the offenses against me by those who oppose me?  Failing to see the corruptness inflicted by hearts infected by hate?

Yes.

I could choose to live with this kind of grace.  This kind of unmerited forgiveness.

By failing to notice, I could be more like Christ.

He pardons and He overlooks.
And I can too.

And a new prayer will be just that: May I fail to see!


No comments:

Post a Comment