Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Am I Bringing God My Very Best?

And so I asked the question in a poll recently through Instagram and Facebook both, “Do you believe God deserves our very best?”

Interesting that only one, in 72 (at last count) answered with a “no”.  And even more interesting that a few considered it a trick question.

And it wasn’t.  A trick question.

But rather one I have been wrestling with for a few weeks.

Because I have been considering, lately, and deeply, what it means to “bring God my very best.”  And it has caused me to evaluate my life based on this one simple question that 99% of us answered a resounding “yes” to.

I ask myself: Am I bringing God my very best?

And I know the debate well and understand the opposing side… “I try to bring Him my best but I fail” and “I don’t have the ability to give my best, but I do what I can.”

And hear me loud and clear that when I ask this question it’s ABSOLUTELY NOT intended to bring shame and condemnation.  Not one bit.

But it is something I feel we must wrestle with.

Because there’s a shift happening in the atmosphere.  I can feel it.
And I believe God is looking for men and women who are absolutely hungry to look more like Him; those willing to do whatever it takes to display Him in the best light possible.  And I think God has intense interest in developing souls that carry His presence so bravely and so boldly that others are drawn into an encounter with Him simply by being in relationship with you.  Us.

And if we SAY that He deserves our best… then shouldn’t that be our number one priority?  Because I wrote it in my journal the other day… “We are often made useless and ineffective when we maintain carelessness in our own personal walks with Jesus.  Our demonstration of inconsistency jeopardizes our testimony.”

Because I can post a bible verse that makes me look spiritual, and turn to curse my neighbor because he’s weird and mean and frustrating.
I can sing a song and even raise my hands in worship on Sunday morning, and then complain on Monday morning that my job is awful and my coworkers are impossible to work alongside of.
I can sit with my small group once a week and approach the Lord in prayer for the sick and the hurting and the broken, and then call my girlfriend to gossip about situations I have no business discussing, all under the guise of “care and concern”.

And yet we still say that God deserves our very best.

And I say it too.

Because I’m preaching to self here most.

God gives us a great assignment… the privilege of representing Him well.

And so I continue to wrestle with this thought… the one whispered to my very soul one night last week… words I believe came directly from the Lord Himself.  And I ask you who would bravely answer the one question, “Do you believe God deserves my very best”, to consider it too:

When we gossip, when we hate on another person, when we condemn ourselves and others, when we lie, when we complain… aren’t we basically and blatantly refusing to give God our very best?  And as a result, aren’t we refusing to count Him as ultimately worthy?




No comments:

Post a Comment