Friday, September 21, 2018

The One I Want To Be With

Exodus 3 records God’s charge to Moses to lead the captives, God’s people, the Israelites, out of Egypt. Verse 10 documents Moses’ concern, “Who am I to appear before Pharaoh? Who am I to lead the people of Israel out of Egypt?”

And I can hear the tone in the simple words written in black ink upon my bible. “Who am I? I’m nobody special. I have no experience that would warrant me able for such a grand task as this!” It’s the implication of his words that allow so many of us to relate. “You must be crazy to think I’m your guy!”

And then verse 11 archives the response of the sweet Father... “ I will be with you…”

With enormous respect, this hardly answers the question. And as is often the case, there’s great mystery surrounding this remark. Moses declaring his unfitness… All the while God qualifying him because of God’s presence.

Oh and I see it now… God’s answer to “Who am I?”, is, “The one I want to be with, that’s who!”
Him IN US defines who we truly are!

God says, “I will supply all of your defects! I will make good all of your shortcomings!” There’s no fear in who you are when I’m with you!

Moses’ mind is turned at once to his own qualifications, and the great void of what he perceived was in him. Moses went from a shepherd to an ambassador of a king, to a leader of men. And quite honestly his asking shows he may be in the right spot after all! He didn’t jump at the chance of distinction. He rightly had a humility about himself and a genuine identity battle so many of us do.
The “I” of Moses is replaced by the “I” of a good Father!

My commentary suggests that, “We must rise from a mere seeking after God to the knowledge that we are known of God.”

Ahh.. and so our identity is found not in our qualifying character. It’s not found in the distinctions of our human effort. Our identity is found by the mere evidence of God in us. With us. For us. His presence gives way to our potential!

I am discovered by His divine inhabitance and companionship. I shall lack nothing as long as He goes with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment