Sunday, September 2, 2018

The Waiting

Honestly, life is hard sometimes. And the waiting can be so difficult, especially in a season of chronic pain, prolonged heartache, or unpleasant suffering.

And yet when I search the scriptures I find it. Nestled away in Isaiah 40, verse 31. The ones who are strengthened are the ones who wait upon the Lord. Fresh strength is supplied to those who are weak and tired, when they WAIT upon the Lord.

Ahh yes.. waiting. The waiting that’s so difficult for our frail selves.

And I often wonder how much longer will I be asked to wait.

Wait, in part, means: to be available; in readiness. To be ready? Waiting means readiness... perhaps because God, in His kindness and in His faithfulness, is using the waiting room as preparation for bigger things. Readying me for the weight of His glory. Developing character within me that is intentioned to sustain me for the long haul. Equipping me to be a carrier of His love and grace to a world that has forgotten.

And He shows me in the trial by a simple inconvenience on a Tuesday evening. It had been an exhausting day. A day filled with long car rides and doctors appointments and store visits for long overdue must-have’s. And I was ready to get the script and go home. And then this. A routine stop at a train crossing. And no short stop either. A long pause to our evening. An unaffordable delay.

And I watched as the other travelers in the vehicles behind us left. One by one the wait became too much and they aborted their stay, seeking alternative routes.

Because the wait was long and hard and demanded patience. And even in our distress and irritation, we remained. Believing all the while that a resolution not only existed, but was eminent. “But those who wait upon the Lord get fresh strength...”. And it’s what I’ve been needing, fresh strength.

And so I’ll sit at the train crossing for as long as it takes. Because those who abandon their posture of preparation lose the promise of power to overcome and gain a triumphant victory in the trial.

I WILL get fresh strength if I continue to wait on the Lord. His timing. For His glory... and my good.

Hallelujah!



No comments:

Post a Comment