Monday, October 15, 2018

The Answer For Our Enemies

Hannah had prayed for a child. Desperately prayed. And all the while those around her mocked her for of her barrenness. Scripture tells us that, “Year after year Peninnah (the second wife of her husband, Elkanah, who had children), would taunt Hannah.” (1 Sam 1:7)

But one prayer changed everything. A prayer.. a vow with God really. If He’d allow her a son, she’d give him back to the Lord for service the rest of his days.

And it’s exactly what happened!

In due time she gave birth to s son, Samuel, and indeed returned him to the Lord at the tabernacle in Shiloh.

And then we see her prayer of praise in chapter 2. Verse 1 says, “My heart rejoices in the Lord! The Lord has made me strong. Now I have an answer for my enemies; I rejoice because You rescued me.”
I appreciate the wording of the NLT version. “Now I have an answer for my enemies.”

And I looked long at that.

An answer?

And I believe her “answer” was her steadfast praise and devotion to her God. She addresses it here of her “enemies”, not in a way of reproach and reviling, or even in a form of retaliation. But in a prayer of thanksgiving to God. Her God!

Oh because praise and thanksgiving so often confuse our enemies. Those who cannot imagine past depression and discouragement cannot see purpose in delight and delectation.

Here in Hannah’s exuberant and elated state, she provides an honorable example for us. One where there is great absence of vindictiveness, revenge, and retaliation. Her heart is too occupied by adoration and gratitude for what the Lord has done!

Ahh... that our minds would be fixated on His goodness, and our mouths employed for His glory!

We must stay resolute in rejoicing and persistent in prayer... this is the answer for enemies!


No comments:

Post a Comment