Monday, October 8, 2018

Waiting And Watching

Psalm 130:5 in the Message version says this, “I pray to God - my life a prayer - and wait for what He’ll say and do. My life’s on the line before God, waiting and watching till morning. Waiting and watching till morning.”

Ahh.. yes.. and some mornings you beg for a word.. any word.. from Him. To bring encouragement to a weary soul.

Because waiting is hard. So hard. And yet waiting is to be the constant posture of His people.

Because waiting exercises patience, it gives opportunity for hope, it deepens expectancy.

Waiting means to remain in a state of repose, as until something expected happens; to be available; to be ready; to look forward eagerly. And yet some seasons of waiting seem to bring anything but eagerness in anticipation.

Charles Spurgeon says, “Waiting tries faith and it’s a good thing, because faith grows by trial.” He continues, “Waiting endears every blessing when it comes; and thus we get 2 joys: the joy of waiting for the joy and the joy of enjoying the joy when it comes.”

This is huge! Joy in the waiting? What? Yes! Because for the Christ follower, joy IS coming. And so I can wait knowing that my waiting is never ever ever in vain.

And the waiting has got to be coupled with watching. Waiting and watching. The one who waits must always watch. Watch to see what He’s going to do!

And I see it today.. words leap from my commentary: “May we grow eager when we think of what is yet to be revealed in us.” Glory!! Even now... in the difficult waiting... He’s resurrecting, He’s renewing, He’s reviving! And so maybe I can wait. Wait... to rest in Him. To abide with Him. Wait... with an earnest expectation and desire for more of Him. Wait... with my lamp burning at all times.
Maybe I can wait with loving expectancy when I see it as God’s call. When I choose to see Him as the Author and Perfector with plan and purpose for it. Pain and affliction is never His desire... but development of godly character is. And so I pray that I may be rightly developed in my season of waiting.

I’ll keep waiting and remain watchful. And I know He will answer in His divine timing!

No comments:

Post a Comment