Thursday, January 24, 2019

Prayer For His Ultimate Glory

And we’ve been in a season of asking for a while now. So when I read it afresh on a Thursday morning in January, my heart struggles a bit to catch up. “You can ask for anything in My name, and I will do it...”. Anything. It’s what it says. But then I read more... the continuation of print on the second page... “...so that the Son can bring glory to the Father.” John 14:13.

SO THAT the Son can bring glory to the Father.

And I wonder... has this been the cry of my heart? Because it’s the prayer in the garden of Gathsemane that teaches us what it means to pray self-sacrificially. To pray fully dependent on an answer that will ultimately bring glory to the One who stands in mediation for us. To pray in full reliance that how it’s answered will be that which brings Him highest honor that He stands justified to receive. To pray, “nevertheless not my will, but Yours be done.”

Because maybe the power found in prayer and petition has less to do with His willingness to perform, and most to do with my capacity to receive, and my eagerness to exchange my desire for His desire. Perhaps it’s about concerning myself more with His ultimate glory than my ease and comfort and satisfaction.

And if this text explains it correctly... that the end of the Son’s work is the glory of the Father, then that must be the aim of all prayers asked in Jesus’ name.

The object of my prayer life should be that glory be appropriated to Jesus by whatever answer is graciously bestowed.

He knows what’s best for me. He knows how much I can handle. He knows what amount of blessing I can trusted with. And He’s establishing me to be a platform He can use to display His power to a hopeless and hurting world.

There is power in our prayers. His glory is waiting to be magnified through us!

No comments:

Post a Comment