Monday, February 18, 2019

Self-Check

Sometimes we are to blame for the brokenness of our purpose.

Job knew it well. “My days are over. My hopes have disappeared. My hearts desires are broken.” Job 17:11

And yet I wonder... how much of our spiritual growth is stifled by our own words. By believing a lie and then insisting on verbalizing the defeat. I wonder how much we remain stuck in as a result of our negative speech and our hurtful words.

And so I re-examine the list I created almost one year to the day. Questions for self-check as I reflect upon the the One who’s image I bear and who’s reputation I must honor well - even with the tongue... no especially that!

1. How much have I been adhering to the purposes of the Christian life?
2. Has old sin been avoided?
3. Have I served God with a singleness or heart?
4. Have I denied myself and followed Christ as I dreamed of doing when I first surrendered my life to Him?
5. Have I lived unselfishly and in charity to my neighbors?

Because truly it’s all a matter of keeping my heart flushed (Matthew 5:8, “God blesses theses whose hearts are pure..”). And I must guard my heart, and control my tongue. And strive daily to be better than I was yesterday.


No comments:

Post a Comment