Thursday, April 18, 2019

Light in Contrast to Dark

And the truth really is that we all have sorrows. We all have trouble. We all suffer hardship and loss and disappointment. No one escapes this earthly home without any of it. It’s promised, “In this world you will have trouble.” (Jn 16:33)

And yet the real test of Christlike living is how we behave in the valley.

And I see it on the black canvas. Sorrow. Grief. Discouragement. Anxiety. Burden. And I remember verse ten of 2 Cor 4, “Through suffering, our bodies continue to share in the death of Jesus so that the life of Jesus may also be seen in our bodies.”

“So that”. It’s an explanation for the suffering. Because it’s never in vain for the one who follows Him.

And I’ve been asking for it for years: to be brought nearer to the likeness of Him. And yet asking for His way of living includes, too, the resignation to dying.

And I see it like revelation on a Wednesday morning: I must choose living that His death may be evident by my resurrected living... and that His resurrected life may be evident in my dying body.
And I return to the black canvas. My despair. My disappointment. My hurt. And I wonder if the backdrop of my sorrows is a perfect showcase of His love and grace to shine brightest? Will others feel the glow in contrast of the darkness? On the background of all that hurts, will it be the steadfastness they saw? The sacrifice of praise that overshadows? The devotion and trust in God that takes center stage?

We can choose to live in contrast by illuminating the resurrection as opposed to confirming the gloom. Because in light of Friday... Sunday came. And in my dying self I must determine to expel darkness by living well, that others are captivated by the Light.

In my death experience, may the hope of His glorious resurrected be exposed!


No comments:

Post a Comment