Thursday, October 24, 2019

But I Won't...


In the past 48 hours I have been saddened, embarrassed, and heartbroken over some ill-spoken words publicly hurled over a major platform by one of the Christian community’s largest leaders of our time.

In my private office where I spend countless hours seeking and soaking in the Presence of Jesus, I shed tears over the words that were fired like a missile, leaving damaging shrapnel in it’s wake.

And before I would even come to this platform to express my grief I would beg God to “help me get this right.”  The practice my heart has been rehearsing for months now.  “God, I just want to respond well to what You’re doing.”

Because the truth really is that we cannot allow ourselves to live reactionary to the work of evil.  Otherwise we risk experiencing the affliction that was intended by the accuser.  You know the one.  I know him well too.  Always aiming to “steal, kill, and destroy.”  And I’ve worked too hard… TOO HARD… to become bitter, critical, and resentful.

It would be just like Jesus to take me to His Word for comfort this morning.

John 8.
Jesus expressing His assignment to the stubborn Pharisees.  “I am going away.” He said again in verse 21.  He continues, “You cannot come where I am going.”

In their doubt and unbelief the people began asking among themselves, “What does He mean, ‘You cannot come where I am going?’” (verse 24)

And Jesus continues in verse 26, “I have much to say to you and much to condemn, but I won’t.  For I say only what I have heard from the One who sent Me and He is completely truthful.”

It was if Jesus is saying, “I could say so much here.  I could retaliate.  I could condemn.  I have plenty of grounds to reprove and accuse.  After all, isn’t that what you have been doing to Me?  But I will withhold.  I will forbear.”

What could He say, anyway, that those filled with cynicism would have believed anyway?  What could have been communicated that had not already been, and that might have altered their opinion?

Jesus is our example.
He is our perfect example.
He only said what He heard His Father saying and He only did what He saw His Father doing.
“Period.
Paragraph.
End of discussion.”


Everything doesn’t require my opinion. 
Even the abusive words of one who shares a platform rooting for the same team.
Even the one who’s words pierce this weary soul who sits at the feet of Jesus every day begging Him to make her different.

And so I will “go home.” 
And when I do I will pray.
On my knees I will pray.
I will pray for you and I will pray for me and I will pray for all of those who’s hearts have been torn by ill-intentioned leaders who may just have temporarily forgotten what Love and Grace look like.
I will pray for the ones who enter into the battlefield every single day with a heart to lead like Jesus.  For the women who offer hope to a hurting world and who's sacrifice does not go unnoticed.
I will pray for wounds to heal and for this to be an opportunity to put into practice all that we have fought so hard to protect: love, grace, honor.

And through it all… through it ALL… may it be HIS name that is forever glorified and lifted up!

No comments:

Post a Comment