Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Guard It Well

I saw it there last week.  This circular pattern atop our bathroom counter.  And I would find it intriguing when it was harder to remove than it looks.

The spilled powdered make-up had left a mark behind that I didn’t realize in the moment, and yet couldn’t miss after it was discovered.

And spilled pigmented powder wouldn't normally prove to be a big deal had it not been for the tiny crack that lied just beneath.  The crevice that served as a breeding ground for a deepening effect… a widespread concern.

And as I looked at the stain I saw within it the frailty of my own life, and the harmful conditions I am subject to when I neglect the fractures that exist within my spiritual journey.

Because when given the choice, the bend of my human heart is often to unintentionally yield to those things that stifle my growth, challenge my enthusiasm, complicate my direction, and add more heartache and discontent.

And like the make-up, the things that are intentioned to steal, kill, and destroy, will have an increased chance of success if I leave the door to my heart unattended and unprotected.

And so I purpose today to do whatever it takes to seal the weak parts of my life with the promises of God.  To resolve with intensity to barricade the enemy from a sneak attack.  Because once I give way to His schemes and tactics… I’ve exposed myself to contamination and eventual ruin.

I cannot invite the evil.  I cannot believe the lies.  I cannot surround myself with negativity.  I cannot allow harmful words to leave my lips.  I cannot give up on the constant clinging to Christ. 

I cannot afford to leave my soul unguarded.  Because it’s when I do… when I ignore the crack… it becomes a canyon that then seems impossible to recover from.

And so today I see the stain differently.  I see it as opportunity to steward better all I have been assigned to protect and preserve.  It’s your chance too.  To safeguard against the one who’s aim is always to steer you away from all you’ve worked so hard to attain.

“Guard the good deposit”
  (2 Tim 2:14) well, friend.  Guard it well.


No comments:

Post a Comment