Thursday, November 14, 2019

Consulting With Confidence in my Own Integrity!

We really do have lots to learn from the life of Moses in scripture.

Numbers 16 is a story filled with ALL kinds of teachings regarding complaining against one of God’s servants, a unity of rebellion against Moses and his brother, Aaron, a great pleading for a change of ways from Moses of the disobedient Levites, and ultimately an incredible interceding for God’s mercy from notably one of the “meekest” and most “humble” men who ever lived.

As the complaints against Moses grew, and as discontent for public position increased among the people, Moses became angry.  He could not BEAR to see the people he had been so faithfully leading, ruin themselves with their quarreling, rage, malice, and dissatisfaction.  It was with those sins they were creating their own destinies of destruction and Moses had worked too hard to see them march onward toward obedience that led to ultimate salvation.

But take a look at verse 15.  It says this, “Then Moses became very angry and said to the LORD, ‘Do not accept their grain offerings! I have not taken so much as a donkey from them, and I have never hurt a single one of them.’”

Moses appears to the Lord and appeals for his people. 
Of course he is asking for a punishment here, by the refusal to accept their grain offerings… but look at how he is basing his appeal on his own personal integrity.

Moses was able to declare his innocence when pleading for the people he led.
And I would write it right there in my bible as a reminder.. “Can I do this?”

It reminds me of a personal struggle I have dealt with as of late.

It wasn’t long ago that someone mentioned to me something that someone had said about me.  It wasn’t communicated negatively to me, but it did hurt me to know there was someone out there who had been lying about me and who had been malicious in their intent to destroy my reputation.

Admittedly I was sad in the beginning.
And then I was mad.
And then the Lord spoke to my heart.

He gently whispered the words found in Matthew 5 to me.  “… love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you, so that you will become children of your Father in heaven…”

And so began what has now been an almost 2 month journey of praying every single day for this person.

Now hear me when I say - I DO NOT SAY THIS TO BOAST.
This is by no means my default.
But where the Spirit of the Lord is - there is freedom, and I needed to be free from the condition of ill-spirited hearts… and the ONLY way He has shows me to escape is by constant and consistent prayer and petition.

Moses, the most humble man in all the earth (certainly at that time), was able to RIGHTLY appeal to the Lord on behalf of His people because of His OWN integrity. 
It was as if he was saying, “God, you know me!  You know my heart is pure and my motives are right!  I am not guilty for one second of what they are conjuring up as lies against me… so because of ME will you bless them and find no fault for their sin?”

It even tells us in verse 22, “Moses and Aaron fell down on their faces” and pleaded for the Lord to not carry through on His anger.

Wow.

They didn’t deserve this kind of grace.  And neither do the ones conspiring against me and you… but as I plead with the Lord concerning them, may an answer come based on MY goodness and MY faithfulness.  Ahh… so when I’m praying for my enemies, may I ask with the confidence of my OWN integrity!

It matters so much more than we think!



No comments:

Post a Comment