Sunday, February 23, 2020

Peculiarity In Being Battle Ready


I suppose I can make anything into a message.  And this past weekend was no exception.

Because God speaks in all things… and in His voice is always an invitation to learn.

And on this morning… it was the bacon.

It was almost finished frying in the pan when I heard the pop and expected the burn from the spark of the grease.  I would even feel myself flinch as I reached to reduce the heat.  But what was interesting is I didn’t experience the sting at all.  And saying the words, “ouch” while retracting my hand seemed funny to me.

Because the recollection of past pain had taught me to “be ready” for discomfort.  The habit of repeated injury had cautioned me to “be prepared” for unpleasantness.

And I wondered if there was a way I could be prepared for the same things in life.

Because wasn’t it Jesus who told His disciples to, "Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation.”  After all, He said, “The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.”  (Matt 26:41)

Ahh yes.

That.

And just maybe it’s in the “watching and praying” that I can be prepared, in advance, for the things aimed straight at my heart.  The things that seek only to “steal, kill, and destroy.”

I was prepared for the attack of the hot oil that morning, because I had experienced it before.  I was familiar with it’s destruction.  I was wise to it’s ability to cause unnecessary harm.  And even my physical body was predisposed to safeguarding and ultimate rejection.

Oh that we would be that skillful when the enemy rears it’s ugly head!

That we would live as ones not constantly “on the lookout” for evil, but that we would realize our bent, know our tendencies, and be “battle ready”.

And “battle ready” could mean forgiveness extended when it’s least deserving.
Because after all - the enemy would like us to forever wrestle in the discontentment of unforgiveness.
“Battle ready” could mean speaking good words and “life” over situations that seem bad.
Because at the end of the day it will be our words that convict us and make us guilty. (Matt 12:37)
“Battle ready” could mean refusing to engage in gossip that ultimately brings destruction on an unsuspecting person.
Because the destroyer would like us to believe that we are being helpful when it fact, we are being as harmful as we could to our spiritual souls and compromising His great reputation.

And so it is my prayer that when the enemy comes to take all that I’ve worked so hard to attain, that I wouldn’t “experience the sting at all.”  That I would, like Jesus, be well prepared.  (Matt 4:1-11) That in my refusal to give rise to the acknowledgment of the darts he’s hurling straight at my heart, I would successfully reject the effect of it’s aim and claim.

It has been my prayer and will continue to be, “Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift each of you like wheat.  But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers.”  (Luke 22:31-32)

No comments:

Post a Comment