Monday, May 11, 2020

It’s By Relationship That We Are Recognized


It is a scripture verse that I return to frequently, because it is the cry of my heart.
And because I know what it feels like to, sometimes, feel inadequate… not enough.

Because my journey really started 10 years ago.
It was when I got serious about following Jesus.
And when, coming to the pages of His Word, I came with the hungriest of appetites.
And not, so much for knowledge, but for encounter.  For presence.  For relationship.

Because you understand when something is missing.

And I would sit at that kitchen table day after day after day, begging Him for the infilling that only He could do.  My one, honest, simple prayer was this, “God, give me a passion for Your Word.”

And years later, He's still answering the prayer… the cry of my soul.

Acts 4.  Two disciples, Peter and John, appear before the high council, that were partially comprised of leaders who were very disturbed that the men were teaching the people that through Jesus there is a resurrection of the dead.  In response, the men were jailed, but even bars couldn’t restrain their boldness in preaching what they knew to be the truth of their Savior.

Verse 8 tells us that, “Peter, filled with Holy Spirit”, began speaking with courage and power, as he communicated the salvation message to anyone who was listening.

Verse 13 says this, “The members of the council were amazed when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, for they could see that they were ordinary men with no special training in the Scriptures. They also recognized them as men who had been with Jesus.”

Ordinary men… not specially trained… but who were recognized as having been with Jesus.

Ahh… I can’t think of any reputation that is better than this one!

The Greek word for “When they saw”, here means “considering” as well as “beholding”.  It implies the grasp with which the mind lays hold of a fact after inquiry.
The Greek word, Theoreo means this, “looking from a distance” (Mt 27:55), “beginning to observe” (Mk 12:41), and “watching/beholding” (Rev 11:11).

Look at that again.
“looking from a distance.”
I was stopped in my tracks when I saw this one.

When you have been with Jesus… it is recognized even from a distance.
Which means, power, courage, strength, love, favor… all of the things that are characteristic of Jesus, are found in those who frequent Him.  Those who are in relationship with Him.  Those who maintain a committed devotion to Him.

They had been with Jesus.
And it was so obvious to the onlookers… even the doubters and mockers…that they had indeed been with Christ.  How else could they explain the power they carried, the courage they possessed, the supernatural strength they maintained and the love they expressed.

Oh that it would be said of me… of you.

When I began this fierce pursuit of Jesus, I was convinced that I didn’t have what it took.  And since then I have experienced, from time to time, seasons of doubt because of my deep lack of knowledge and understanding.  I carry with me no theological degree, no proper schooling that could distinguish me from a less educated student.  But I do have a hunger, and I have been with Jesus… and that… is enough.

His presence is enough.
Because when spending time with Him translates into likeness of Him… it is enough.

It’s by relationship that we are recognized.

No comments:

Post a Comment