Friday, May 29, 2020

Just Because I Can Doesn't Mean I Should


A few years ago I was having a discussion with a friend about Social Media.  It was a heated conversation, but it was healthy.  And while we couldn’t come to mutual agreement, we were able to walk away maintaining respect for one another as we committed to doing better in our personal pursuits of God and His will.

The centralized theme of our dialogue was this idea that “My Facebook page is my mine and I can say and do with whatever I please.”

And while this is a very true statement, it’s a dangerous mindset to manage.

Because I think Jesus wants better for us.

1 Peter 2:16 says this, “For you are free, yet you are God’s slaves, so don’t use your freedom as an excuse to do evil.”

The word “free” is translated in the Greek as “eleutheria” which means, “set free, state of liberty, free from outside control.”

We are to live in freedom as ones who have been bought by the blood of Jesus.  As ones who are being made in the image of God, and as ones designed for His eternal kingdom.  We are commissioned to live free from externals, free from the damaging affects of missiles shot from enemy soil.

Our Christian liberty must not be taken out of context and used irresponsibly. 

And I would look my friend in the eyes and say these words… the words I have been wrestling with God now about for years, “Just because I can, doesn't mean I should.”

While I am free from slavery and from the chains that bound me as a prisoner to the sinful lifestyle I once engaged with, I must remember that I am a servant of God.  While there are certainly great privileges we all benefit from, we are not free to behave in blatant disrespect and disregard of our assignment of being Cross Carriers and Image Bearers. 

If we are to demonstrate His nature through our behavior, then we must continually self-check our outward reflection.

My commentary says this, “Duty is enforced on us to guard against licentiousness, but the way it is to be fulfilled is by love and the holy instincts of Christian liberty.  We are given principles, not details.

The word “licentiousness” is an interesting word which has within it the root word “license.”  Some synonyms of the word include: arrogance, audacity, complacency, gluttony, irresponsibility, self-indulgence, slackness, unrestrained, unruly, wild, reckless, impulsive, thoughtless, declining, immoral, and disregarding the rules.

And I would make the list while writing the words again, “Just because I can, doesn’t mean I should.”

I am free to say what I please - but is it honoring to God?
I am free to give my opinion - but does it point to Jesus and His nature of goodness and grace?
I am free to choose un-forgiveness - but does it emulate the heart of God for people called for His purpose?

I am free - yes indeed I am - but not free from all restraint, and not free to indulge in the things that separate me from the full life Jesus had in mind when He suffered all of His own freedoms by way of nails on a cross.

Oh we must do better.

I have “license” to do and say whatever I wish - but just because I can, doesn't mean I should.  Because when I live in this arrogant, self-indulgent, unrestrained state, I am showcasing Jesus in the wrong light, and denying others the opportunity to see what freedom living really means for the Christ follower.

God, help me to think before I act.  To pause before I speak.  To hesitate before I behave irrationally and disrespectfully.
Just because I can, doesn't mean I should.

No comments:

Post a Comment