Saturday, June 13, 2020

Asking The Wrong Question


Maybe we’re asking the wrong question.

The disciples did.

Privy to His wondrous work and His miraculous ways, the men who had been with Jesus, learned from Jesus, and walked with Jesus, still misunderstood Him.

John 9, verses 1-2.  “As Jesus was walking along, He saw a man who had been blind from birth.  ‘Rabbi,’ His disciples asked Him, ‘why was this man born blind?  Was it because of his own sins or His parents’ sins?’

It was the wrong question.
The focus was on the wrong thing.

Because sometimes, in a world gone completely mad, we aim for reasoning and rationale.
In a world filled with hate and distrust we become all-consumed with placing blame and pointing fingers.
Someone’s gotta be held responsible, after all.  This… must be somebody’s fault.

But could it be that our perspective simply needs adjusting.
Could it be that too much emphasis is being placed on fitting the perceived offensive misconduct of others, into our narrow-minded box we mislabel ‘justice?’
Because finding blame and insisting upon retaliation is a mindset that robs of our joy, destroys our peace, and makes His sacrifice all in vain.
That hate - He died for that.
That retribution - He died for that.
That vengeance - He died for that.

His men - they asked the wrong question.
And maybe we do too.
I am too.

Because Jesus answers in a way that was likely least expected.
Verse 3, “It was not because of his sins or his parents’ sins.  This happened so the power of God could be seen in him.”
Some versions say, "so that the WORKS of God could be displayed in him."

Tens words.
And I must play them on repeat in my head.
The actions from my hands.
They must become my response to all the hurt.
The things that don’t make sense.

“This happened SO THE POWER OF GOD COULD BE SEEN IN HIM.”

His power displayed in the world and on the earth is up to me.  It’s up to you.  Us… the Jesus people.

He longs to use human agencies to display His love… His mercy… His power here in the world.  And so becomes the question… the right question… we must ask.
“When they see me, do they see Him?

Is the power of God witnessed by others?
In the way I love.
In the way I serve.
In the way I give.
In the way I share.
In the way I behave in situations I cannot understand.

It matters.

We’ve been asking the wrong question.

Oh, God, help us get it right.
Re-shift our mindset.

This happened… all of it… yes, and even that… so that the power of God could be seen in us!

No comments:

Post a Comment