Monday, November 23, 2020

We Must Remove And Replace!


I love the Psalms of David.

They give us such a fantastic example of someone who knew the Lord, intimately, walked with Him, depended fully on Him, consulted Him in all things, and yet still wrestled with issues of sin, doubt, frustration, and fear.

He’s an easy one to relate to.

And yet in all of David’s dysfunction, he was still considered a, “man after His own heart.”  (1 Sam 13:14)

In Psalm 39, we see a sort of self-talk going on in David’s prayer.

It’s not an uncommon practice for David.  It was quite natural for him to reveal to us the ways he battled within his own soul.

Psalm 139:1 says this, “I said to myself, ‘I will watch what I do and not sin in what I say.  I will hold my tongue when the ungodly are around me.’”

This is marvelous self-talk.  Honorable in every way.
David, having learned about the danger that often lies in speech, was conditioning himself to watch over his tongue and keep guard of his mouth - lest any harsh words incriminate him.

But as we observe the next verse we see a whole new lesson emerge for the us, the students of the Word.

Verse 2 says this, “But as I stood there in silence - not even speaking of good things - the turmoil within me grew worse.”

Why?



I believe it’s because there’s more to our responsibility than simply avoiding improper conversation.  There’s more we are to gain in spiritual awakening and advancement, than what is found in the elementary lesson of tongue-holding.

Because silence often gives way to strife.
Remaining reserved can sometimes lead to resentment.

Because higher is the man’s spirit than is the man’s mind.
We were created to worship!
Psalm 95:1-2 says, “Come, let’s sing for joy to the Lord, Let’s shout joyfully to the rock of our salvation. Let’s come before His presence with a song of thanksgiving, Let’s shout joyfully to Him in songs with instruments.”

And so it becomes important for us to know that it’s not just about removing something bad from our lives, but it’s about replacing it with something good.

It’s about the removal of complaining with the replacement of praise!
It’s about the removal of arguing with the replacement of peace!
It’s about the removal of shame with the replacement of grace!

We must stay focused on the removal of evil, but also on the replacement of all that brings honor and glory to His name.
 
Oh that the Lord would always be magnified in what I do and what I say!  (Ps 34:3)

No comments:

Post a Comment