Sunday, February 28, 2021

The Art of Silence

 


I feel like I am forever telling people to, “know your own bent.”

And what I am really saying is - know yourself well enough to know when to walk away… when to know when you’ve had enough of worldly living, and you’re ready to surrender to a Kingdom mindset.

And part of it is also knowing when to speak… and when silence would serve us so much better.

I was reading in a commentary the other day and the words that leapt off the page were these, “there is art of silence.”

And I would add… there is great wisdom in speech that is edifying, and also great wisdom in silence that is necessary.
For both you and for the hearer.

Because whether we believe it to be true of not… everything does not require our commentary.  Just because something enters my mind, doesn’t mean it has to exit my mouth.

Some things are better left alone.
Because misfiring ungodly words as a Jesus-follower ends in a far more serious result,  “I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak.”  (Matt 12:36)

And so I ask Him again today… God, take control of my mouth.  Keep a tight reign over my tongue.  Fill me with wisdom to know when my speech would contribute good, and when my words would only add more noise and distract from Your glory!

Amen?

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment