Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Your Work Is Not Insignificant If It Brings Honor To God


 

In the final prayer of Jesus before He was arrested can be found in John 17.

It’s a beautiful prayer with so much to take away from the sacrificing love of the Suffering Savior.

In verse 4 Jesus confidently says these words, “I brought glory to You here on earth by completing the work You gave Me to do.”

And next to that verse I wrote the question I wrestle with in my own life: “Can this be said of me?”

Because if we’re being honest, we all struggle with our call from time to time.  We all wrestle with our life’s work.  And I think, at least at times, we question the legitimacy of our assignment and the confidence of the interpretation of our personal duty.

And I have heard it on repeat from the mouths of those I love and pray for regularly: “I just don’t know what God would have me to do.”

I’ve said those same words myself: “I just don’t know if this is what I’m supposed to be doing.”

And at least for me those vocal utterances stem from a feeling of unworthiness, confusion, and perceived insignificance.

But then on a Friday afternoon in late February I am reminded once again why I do what I do.
It comes to me in the form of a mailed hand-written card.  
And it’s words are simple, yet enormously profound and equally as significant: “Thank you for what you do.”
And the tears come.
And they don’t stop for a long time.

Because the truth really is that no work we ever do for the glory of God is insignificant.
Oh the work may be small… the task might be ever so minuscule… but out of it may grow an endeavor that will bless the world.

I see in my commentary and am eager to encourage others, “The seed you plant may grow a mighty tree, whose wide branches may shelter the weary and whose rich fruit may feed the hungry long after you have passed away.”

We never know.
I don’t know.
You can’t know either.
Perhaps one day when you arrive at heaven’s door, there to greet you will be one… two… maybe 20 or more people who, in unison say, “because of your investment I am here today.”

And it will surely make every tear shed on account of overwhelming discouragement worth it.

Every one.

Your work is not insignificant if it brings honor and glory to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment