Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Look For Him

 


She is so funny.
And so predictable.

As is her habit, my sweet Isabel follows me around all day long.

She is pretty content in the early morning hours.
She knows where I will be.
In my office doing my quiet time.
And she knows this is rest time for her, and makes her way to the little bed I have for her on the other side of my office.

In the spring and summer months she pretty much knows my routine too.

She knows I will take a shower and then immediately tend to my plants and flowers.

I start in the back yard.
It begins with filling up my watering can and making my rounds to all my potted arrangements on my deck.
And she knows this is going to take a while.

She watches my movements, with one eye trying to rest, perched atop our living room couch, and the other fixed on me.
And she so well knows my pattern that she rarely concerns herself with fear that I might not return.

But when I make my way to the front of the house… where she can no longer “see” me, even from her elevated position… her curiosity and suspicion get the best of her.

When I have been gone for longer than she’s comfortable with, she’ll go looking for me.
And this is how I typically discover her - sitting patiently by the front door - longing to catch a glimpse of me… taking great interest in what I’m doing, where I am moving, and how she can get close.

And it got me thinking.

What if we were like that with Jesus?

I’ve heard it said many times as of late from many who know Him well, “I just don’t feel as close to Him as I used to.”

But because I know His nature, I have to ask, “Have you looked for Him?”

Earnestly looked for Him?
Urgently looked for Him?

He’s not hiding.
He’s not concealing Himself for the discovery.

He’s busily about the world.
And those who, “…seek the LORD your God… will find Him if you seek Him with all your heart and with all your soul.” (Deut 4:29)

Scripture tells us that He, “…love(s) those who love Me, and those who seek Me find me.” (Prov 8:17)

He hasn’t left.
Perhaps He’s just rounded the corner and we haven’t quite caught up yet.
But He is still there.
Longing to be discovered. Recognized. Found. Identified.

Maybe we have a lesson to be learned from this sweet dog of mine.

When we feel He’s been absent longer than we are comfortable with. When we sense He’s far off and no longer nearby, maybe we can say, “I haven’t seen Him in a while… I must go find where He is!”
Taking great interest in what He’s doing, where He’s moving, and how we can get close.

In the seeking - we find Him.
In the searching - we discover Him.

He’s never too far away that we cannot, with intention and diligent pursuing, find where He is.

Come looking for Him today… He patiently and lovingly delights in your discovery!

No comments:

Post a Comment