Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Look Up!

 


There was a moment in our hike the other day, when Trevor rightly identified the difference between us as we walk.

He is an observer.
I am a missionary.

And it’s true of us both, really.

He has always been observant.

He takes his time.
He sees the beauty that is around us.
He stops often to snap photos.
He’s unconcerned about his pace.

But not me.

When I’m out there, I’m on a mission.
My focus is on the steps being tracked.
My goal is to get it done and check it off the list.

And then I noticed something on our journey this past Sunday.

My neck started to stiffen up.

The pain became intense as we rounded the last curve towards home, and just as the rain began to pelt our faces.

And yet when I lifted my head, the pressure was relieved.
When I turned my face upward, the pain seemed to lessen.

I had been on such a “mission”, and was so improperly fixated on my stride, I had managed to inflict unnecessary pain in my neck and back.

And the only real solution was to… “Look up!”

In Luke 21, Jesus is preparing His students for the coming of the Son of Man.
In His prediction of future events, He was lovingly preparing their hearts for His departure, and yet for His subsequent and ultimate return.

Take a look at verses 25-27, “…there will be strange signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. People will be terrified at what they see coming upon the earth, for the powers in the heavens will be shaken. Then everyone will see the Son of Man coming on a cloud with power and great glory.”

And then look at verse 28, “So when all these things begin to happen, stand and look up, for your salvation is near.”

Ahh yes.
Jesus, I remember.
I just need to look up.

Look up - and be redeemed.
Look up - and find comfort.
Look up - and see His face and know it’s all going to be okay.

And Jesus said, "... when these things BEGIN to happen, stand and look up!"
I barely noticed the solution until I was rounding that bend nearing home. If I had only, "looked up" earlier, I may have saved myself some needless suffering!

We get so bogged down with worldly evil when we remain ground-focused.
All has a tendency to look like, “turmoil” that leads us to being unnecessarily “terrified.”

When we insist on keeping our eyes at foundation level, we miss a whole world… a heavenly Kingdom… He has designed for those who know Him and love Him.

And THIS is the reality we need to stay focused on.

It did my neck a world of good to shift my gaze.
Imagine the healing that would come to our very soul if we intentionally altered our eyesight!

No comments:

Post a Comment