Thursday, September 18, 2014

When Jesus Has to be Enough

There is absolutely no doubt about it... we are living in the "me-ist" society this world has ever seen.

Everything this side of eternity screams, "ME!"

Just take a look around and in no time you will see what I mean...
There's Facebook and Instagram and Snapchat.  All doing what?  Screaming, "Look at me!"  "Look at what I'm doing!"  "Look where I am!" and "Look who I'm with!"

In this selfie-crazed era, we have redefined our definition of acceptance.  And it's scaring me to death.

Why?

Because in this maddening self-centered world, I am raising a daughter who needs to know that there is more to life than how many "likes" she get on Instagram or how many "friends" are snapchatting with her on the weekend.  I desperately need her to know there is a God who lovingly pursues her and waits patiently for her to realize HE IS ALL SHE NEEDS.

Jesus is enough.

And aren't I preaching also to myself when I say this too?

Because I need to know and BELIEVE with every fiber of my being that HE IS ENOUGH.

There is a beautiful example of this kind of "enough" love in John, chapter 21.  Here Jesus appears to His disciples beside the Sea of Galilee following His death and subsequent resurrection.  It had been a long night of fishing for Simon Peter, Thomas, Nathaneal, the sons of Zebedee and two other disciples, and coming up empty-handed at dawn, Jesus appears to them standing on the beach.  He encourages them to to throw out their net on the right side of the boat and immediately the net becomes so full they can't even haul it in to shore.
"'Bring some of the fish you've just caught,' Jesus said." {John 21:10}
So Simon Peter went aboard and dragged the net to the shore.  There were 153 large fish in the net, and still it hadn't torn.
"... None of the disciples dared to ask Him, 'Who are you?'  They knew it was the Lord."  {John 21:12b}
They didn't have to ask... they knew it was Jesus.  They knew it could ONLY be Jesus.

And then after sharing a meal with them Jesus asked Simon Peter three questions, beginning with this one...
"Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?"  {John 21:15a}
To which Peter replied,
"Yes, Lord, you know I love you."  {John 21:15b}
Here we see a beautiful thing happening as Jesus reminds Peter to examine his heart following Peter's denial prior to Christ's crucifixion.

Jesus was asking Peter and He asks me the same thing today... "Am I enough?"

When the world is unfair and I lose all hope in humanity... is Jesus enough?
When I come in second place after I tried so hard... is Jesus enough?
When the recognition doesn't come that I deserved... is Jesus enough?
When the job interview was a flop and they didn't call me back... is Jesus enough?

Is Jesus enough?

And He asks me again today... "Am I enough?"


Because I know all too well that this world disappoints.  And every day it's a battle between wanting to stay in the game and wanting to give it all up.

The world can be a painful place.

And a lonely place.

And in this "all about me" world we live it... it can be the loneliest.

Even when the "friends" list appears long and well-intentioned Christians try to say the right words, it is lonely.

And I know the lonely well.

I have done lonely days and I have ached deeply for more.
And weariness has set in and taken up residence in my mind and I wonder how I will ever make it through.

Because what I have learned in my years on this earth is that it will never be enough.

It will never be enough until HE is enough!

And Jesus was in the world, but He was not of the world...
"... just as I do not belong to the world."  {John 17:14}
And I could too... be in the world but not of the world.

Because Jesus could be enough.

And I read it again, but it's louder this time...
"Do not love this world not the things it offers you, for when you love the world, you do not have the love of the Father in you."  {1 John 2:15}
Could I... could we... live in this self-promoting planet and be okay with never gracing the center stage or winning the lottery or coming in first place or receiving fame and glory for another meaningless accomplishment?

Could we live different?  Could we BE different?

Because it will never be enough until He is enough.


And I continue my gratitude list on a Wednesday night.

129.) Making dinners for my loving family.
132.) Wind whistling thru the fall day - green leaves bending and dancing.
134.) Jesus is enough.

Even when it's hard.  Even when it's boring.  Even when it's not fair.  Even when I wanted more.

He is enough.

And I repeat it loud until this stubborn soul believes it.

He is enough!

Finding JOY in the JOurneY,






1 comment: