Tuesday, September 23, 2014

When You Need to Read What They Have to Say

"Kind words are like honey - sweet to the soul and healthy for the body."  Proverbs 16:24 {NLT}


I see them there... neatly tucked away in boxes on my bedroom closet shelf.  And on a Monday afternoon I am drawn towards them.  For some reason I need to read what they have to say.

I know that the art of handwriting is a long lost tradition, yet I am old fashioned.  And on this day I thank God for those precious people He has placed in my life who are as well.

Because I need to read what they have to say.


And sometimes we just need to be reminded that we're okay.  That we matter.  That we've made some sort of impact.  That we are valued.  That we are cherished.  That we're not alone.

And looking through the boxes of personal sentiments sent by those brave enough to put pen to paper, I am reminded how truly significant our words can be.

Here's one from a friend that reads,
"Just a note to let you know I was thinking of you.  Take care of yourself and if you need something, I'd love to help."
A gift of grace through the kind words of a dear friend.  Words I will treasure for a lifetime.

Because the world only wants to hurl insults at you.  The world and those wounded by the world will tell you you're not enough.  You don't matter.  You're not worthy. 

And when a husband asks why I keep all of this "stuff" I tell him gently, "Because I need to be reminded."  I need to be reminded that there are others battling the same demons.  I need to be reminded that there are others who sympathize and who have compassionately offered their words of hope to speak life into my messiness.

Because I need to read what they have to say.


And here lies another one from a friend,
"I am so thankful that part of God's plan for me and my life's journey was to have you be a part of it."
And I can barely put that one down.  And tears well up in the eyes.

Because words matter.

Every single one of them matters.

They matter to me!  And I'm guessing they matter to you too.

They bring healing.  They bring relief.  And I adore looking back over the ones scribed in blue and black ink.  Because those are the mini sacrifices from sweet souls surrendered to this idea of loving past themselves.  These gift givers carrying out the command to radically love, are changing our world.  They are writing better stories.

Because we only get this one life to make a difference.  One chance to get it right.  One opportunity to be the voice of Jesus to a broken world.  We have this one life to make Him known to those who need to hear.

And we all need to hear.


And I am so desperately grateful for those who took the time to remind me on the days I needed it the most.  Grace words spoken as a gift straight to the heart of this weary woman.

We cannot miss the chance to change the lives of those we love by speaking love and grace.

Words matter.

And I can write a better story.  I can begin today to change the landscape of my world.  I can be one who loves and inspires with words of grace.

"...an encouraging word cheers a person up."  Proverbs 12:25 {NLT}

Because I have been blessed...  I will bless

Finding JOY in the JOurneY,




No comments:

Post a Comment