Tuesday, December 19, 2017

When God Sees Us



I love encouraging other people.

So when a friend messages me on a Monday morning to tell me about an unfortunate episode that she had the night prior involving Christmas cookies being destroyed by her cat, and an unpleasant exchange between herself and her husband as a result, it is no doubt that I was quick to respond with encouragement.

Not because I am eloquent with words.
Not because I have all the answers.
Not because I am an expert in good behavior.


But because I get it.

I make more mistakes than I would ever care to admit.

Some days I yell at my husband.
Some days I am very slow to forgive.
Some days I am selfish and greedy and unkind.

But I reminded my friend about a verse I had just read that morning (oh don’t you just love how sometimes his messages aren’t JUST for you - but for OTHERS too?) In Psalm 139:23-24, David was asking God to point out anything in him that was offensive to God. Even David... a man after God's own heart, as depicted in the bible.. knew he was not free from sin. He knew he was not exempt from making bad mistakes... sometimes VERY bad mistakes. So he prayed, "point out anything that's in me that is not pleasing to you and lead me to everlasting life."

WOW! What an inspiration!! And the way I see this scripture is this: We can pray to have the sin removed... but it takes more bravery to pray, first, for it to be revealed. Why? So we don't make the same mistake over again. And if we do, maybe we will at least not make it a habit any longer.
I encouraged my friend and now I am encouraging you… He is so good in mercy and forgiveness. He doesn't look at what we've done wrong... when He looks at us, He simply sees His Son and what we can become!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment