Thursday, February 22, 2018

Be Unwilling To Pray It Safe



I cry almost every time I read it.

The exchange between Jesus and a blind beggar named Bartimaeus.

Mark, chapter 10, tells us that the beggar, when he heard that Jesus was nearby, began shouting, “Have mercy on me!”  And as the people yelled at him for his vocal disruptions, his shouts became louder, “Son of David, have mercy on me!”

He knew that Jesus possessed something within Him that he needed.

Healing.  Forgiveness.  Sight.

But perhaps my favorite words Jesus spoke rest here in verse 51, “What do you want me to do for you?”  Jesus asked him.

“What do you want me to do for you?”

To which the blind beggar responded, “I want to see!”

Ahh… Jesus’ willingness to fulfill a desire within the heart of man!

And He doesn’t ask to know… He asks in order for us to vocalize our dependency on Him.

Jesus delights in knowing what we long for.  I think He gets great pleasure from the pouring out of our wishes and cravings.  My commentary suggests that He encourages us to speak because  it pleases Him to hear.  Isn’t that beautiful?

Bartimaeus was passionate in his pursuit to better his condition.  And he would stop at nothing to find blessing.  His prayer was courageous… it was specific… and it was urgent in nature.

And isn’t it amazing that we serve a God who allows such deep union?  That He would grant us Divine access to share with Him the longings of our heart, is a stunning revelation of His incredible character.  He delights in us and stands ready to hear our cries to Him.  Ahh… I think He relishes in hearing our voices!

And so He stands ready to hear you today.  Our prayers demonstrate our full dependency on Him.  By speaking to Jesus and expressing our hearts to Him, it’s professing our full measure of love to Him.

And so today… don’t pray it safe.  Be bold.  Be brave.  Be willing to lay it all open for Him to hear.  Oh friend… He delights in knowing, and He yearns to show mercy.  He is a God who desires this kind of intimacy… this kind of relationship with you.

He stands before you and I this morning asking, “What do you want me to do for you?”

No comments:

Post a Comment