Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Joy is Possible... and Portable!

Easter Week.

It’s really no wonder I would run into the text multiple times this week. 

And when I hear it in church on Sunday and then see it again on a Wednesday morning during the fringe hours of study, it leaps off the page to me once again.

Matthew 26:30, “Then they sang a hymn and went out to the mount of olives.”

Surely this was a routine close of the Passover meal.
And it was with Jesus and the eleven of his closest friends who were with Him.
Perhaps an intention meant to demonstrate to us a pattern which to live our lives.

A pattern of praise.

Because we know how the story unfolds.
We know the sacrifice being prepared.
We’ve read the outcome.
We can feel it in the core of who we are that on this week… the Holy Week… the hardest week in human history… the full weight of anguish and torment and absolute fear and trembling.

And yet… they sang a hymn before surrendering to the scene of agony.

And my commentary says it… “Let your hearts be brimming with the essence of praise.”

“But it’s too hard”, we say.
“You don’t understand.”
“This suffering is too great.”
“The pain is too much.”
“You don’t know what they did to me!”
“It’s just not fair.”

I know.

Oh I know it more than you think I know.

And better yet - HE KNOWS!

But when I read about the Savior of the world who entered into the greatest suffering ever known with praise on His lips to the Father who would just days later have to turn an eye momentarily to the grief-stricken Sacrifice who was atoning for sins He never committed… I am overcome with passion that refuses anything less than praise and worship!

And so I can wake in the middle of difficult circumstances and praise Him because He is good.  Praise Him because He is kind.  Praise Him because He is worthy.  Praise Him because He remains close to the brokenhearted. 

I can praise Him in the storm, because it was in His own storm that the Savior gained strength to conquer death that I deserved.

My joy is not dependent on my circumstance… my joy is found in Him and Him alone!


No comments:

Post a Comment