Monday, April 30, 2018

We Must Gaze Beyond The Grave


Jonah 2:4 says, “Then I said, ‘O Lord, You have driven me from Your presence. Yet I will look once more toward Your Holy Temple.’”

Here we find Jonah having been swallowed by a great finish. In his disobedience, God had arranged the plan of redemption in the belly of that was thought giant whale.

Jonah created his own separation from God. Jonah had willfully withdrawn from standing in God‘s presence.

It wasn’t until Jonah had seemingly lost all hope that he regained proper eyesight. As it is with us, the darkest hour of night is that which precedes the dawn. Out of the very depths of hopelessness and helplessness and sheer isolation, faith begins to rise. Jonah’s faith was rising from the depths of the ocean both literal and spiritual.

I picture God whispering to Jonah, “Look again… Look again! I’m here. I’ve never left. I’ve been with you all along. And your poor choices have resulted in abandonment from My Spirit.” You see, our perceived punishment is often times His powerful provision. We can look at the fact that Jonah was swallowed up by a big fish and say, “Wow – God must’ve been really mad at him!” And yet I say, “No – He must’ve been madly in love with him!” I love verse 17 in chapter 1 it says, “The Lord had arranged for a great fish to swallow Jonah.” He arranged it! He orchestrated it. It was the plan all along. Jonah’s reprimand became his rescue. And it wasn’t until he opened his eyes, looked up towards the Lord‘s Holy Temple, and cried out in authentic faith, that delivery was possible.

“Yet... in my circumstances today… I will look again!”

No comments:

Post a Comment