Thursday, April 5, 2018

We See By Manner Of How We Sow


Let’s be honest… some mornings we don’t have to look real hard to find the things that threaten to steal our joy. Some days we’re handed plenty of opportunities to be frustrated.  And one look to social media confirms it for us by the way we are exposed to negativity, pessimism, and suspicion.

And the weight of it can be so heavy.  Especially for those of us who feel deeply and live passionately. 

And I heard it in the way she responded to my question when I asked how she was doing.  After a long sigh she said, “Just going trough the motions…trying to get through one day at a time.”

I felt it in his words to me on Easter Sunday… the day of resurrection celebration… “I’ve seen better days!”

I hear it in her aching voice when she explains to me, “This is not how I intended for it to go!”

Broken hearts.  Shattered plans.  Disappointed expectations.

But what about misaligned vision?

And on a Thursday morning I see the sticky note there on my prayer board in my office.  A prayer I’ve been praying for a while now.  “A new vision.”

And this prayer came from a season of struggle in my own life.  A dry season of desperately wanting more of Him and less of me.  A determination to commit to God’s purposes and my refusal for a mediocre life.

A new vision.

And the prayer is a bold one… because it’s surrendering the will.  It’s allowing God to do some heart work.  It’s giving Him permission to examine your inward self… the parts we typically deny other people entry.

And He’s been showing me… the slow learner… what it means to have a new vision.

Because there we see it in Matthew 5:8… “God blesses those whose HEARTS are pure, for they will SEE God.”  (emphasis mine)

Okay… so there’s a distinct link between heart and vision.

Yes.  Yes!

And so could it be that our eyesight is dependent on the condition of our inner life?

Because the one who is working diligently on manufacturing healthier heart habits is the one who is continually producing optimistic optical options.

Those who’s hearts are bent towards growth in His ways, are always the ones who see clearer and who’s perspective is forever altered by grace.

A synonym for sow is inject.

It’s always, always, always a matter of what we are allowing ourselves to be injected with.  The heart duplicates that which the life devours.  Profanation in… Pollution out.

I want a better life.
I want clearer eyesight.
I want a new vision.

I want to speak like David and say, “Yet I am confident that I will see the Lord’s goodness while I am here in the land of the living.”  (Psalm 27:13)

And then speak it out for the whole world to hear!

We see by manner of what we sow.

No comments:

Post a Comment