Monday, April 9, 2018

The Greatest Reassurance is Recognition

There’s just something good about being known.  Being recognized.  Being noticed.

And I bet it felt this way for Mary Magdalene.

Early on the Sunday morning following the cruxifixction of Jesus… HER Jesus… Mary stood outside the tomb crying.  The one who had committed to embalming her Christ, was the one who now stood beside an empty tomb and wept because He was not there. 

And thinking His body had been stolen, the tears begin flowing heavily as she corresponds with an angel about her despair.  So much focus was on her grief, that she fails to even recognize the risen Jesus when He appears to her asking, “Dear woman, why are you crying?  Who are you looking for?”  (John 20:15)

But then He says it again, and this time my mind believes it to be a whisper as He draws closer to her.  “Mary”, Jesus said.

“Mary.”

And her words following this about bring me to tears.

“Rabboni!” (Hebrew for “Teacher”.)

She cries out to Him saying, “Rabboni!”

She recognizes Him when He called her by name.  Because there’s just something in recognition that brings reassurance.

I believe in that moment, she realized, that everything was okay.  Her Savior had been found and He was calling her to Himself!

And so I see it now… that there is only one thing more important than knowing God, and that’s Him knowing me!  You!

Does He know me?
Does He recognize me?
Have I journeyed with him long enough for the intense personal bond to affect His intentions and inclinations toward me?

It’s all that truly matters.

To me.

The greatest reassurance is recognition. 


No comments:

Post a Comment