Wednesday, September 5, 2018

The Mouth and The Heart

Luke 6:44 says this, “A tree is identified by its fruit. Figs are never gathered from thorn bushes, and grapes are not picked from bramble bushes.”

The tree is known by its fruits. What is produced by it. In the same way a Christian is known by its fruit. The words and works from its life.

It’s about a change in our nature that stems from our decision to accept and follow Jesus Christ. Without a change in nature, our practice will not be thoroughly changed.

Consider that pigs may be washed and appear clean for a while, but yet without a distinct change in NATURE, they will soon return to wallow in the mud.

It’s a heart change.

And it’s the hard work of Christianity.

But it’s the only way we look more like Christ, and it’s the only way we change the world.

The truth is I can appear to have it all together. I can tell you of God’s grace, but if I withhold forgiveness from the person who didn’t treat me fairly, my habits are misaligned with my heart and I compromise the Gospel message. I can speak of gratitude and thanksgiving and appear to be sincere, all the while grumbling and complaining about my job and confuse every onlooker who is longing to see more Jesus people rise up among the broken and demonstrate what real joy in Christ looks like.

It behooves us greatly to take inventory of our lives to see whether we’re mistaking outward form for authentic pursuit, words and professions for genuine holiness, leaves for fruit. As our hearts are, so are our deeds. Good outward actions demonstrate a good inward heart and they are the mark, the proof, the evidence of credible Christ follower.

No comments:

Post a Comment