Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Inconvenience

I typically don’t share this sort of thing... but today I was impacted to say something.

Trevor and I are visiting a coffee shop in downtown Sylvania today. Cute place. Good coffee. Quaint environment.

And then this couple.

I snuck the picture hoping to not get caught. And while I really dislike random pictures posted on social media of unassuming patrons, I was compelled to share some thoughts on what I see in this simple snapshot taken just after the midday rush.

I watched this sweet couple sit down to a late lunch, taking a back corner table. I witnessed this sweet man serve his lovely wife... attending to her every need. Getting the food, then the silverware, even so much as spreading out her napkin for her. I watched her smile in what seemed like adoring appreciation. And then I watched as he took his own seat... out of breath a bit and noticeably shaky.

Not 3 minutes passed before a woman approached them.. apparently someone they knew. And after a brief conversation, they invited her to join them.

And then the word hit me. The word I’d chosen to be my “word of the year” in 2016. A word the Lord and I would wrestle with.

Inconvenience.

Inconvenience. A hinderance; trouble; something difficult; disadvantage; uneasiness.

And I’ve seen inconvenience in the way the suffering Savior served. Bending Himself for others. Going out of His way to heal sick. Allowing interruption to the flow to be kind, give generously, serve selflessly.

The Jesus way.

And so I’m inspired today to take note of this lovely couple.. the ones whose names I’ll never know. I’m encouraged to allow myself to be broken and inconvenienced in my love for others today.

Because love always sacrifices.

I take away today these things:

• To love another well is to be willing to sacrifice comfort.
• To love well is to serve gladly.
• To love well is to say yes even when it would “feel better” to say no.
• To love well is to maintain honor and dignity while looking past what they “deserve”.

We’ve got this one life, this one chance to love well. To live inconvenienced for the sake of other people.

Because I am radically loved... I can radically love!

No comments:

Post a Comment