Saturday, December 29, 2018

Watching With Expectation

Psalm 5:3 in The Passion Translation says this, “At every sunrise You will hear my voice as I prepare my sacrifice of prayer to You. Every morning I lay out the pieces of my life on the altar and wait for Your Fire to fall upon my heart.”

The Message, in part, says this, “... and watch for fire to descend.”

And the KJV says it like this, “... I will look up!”

To wait, to look up, to watch with expectation means to lean forward, to peer into the distance, to observe, await.

The Hebrew can also be translated here to read, “I’ll be on the watchtower (for the answer to come.)”. And Psalm 88:13 says, “At each and every sunrise You will continue to hear my cry until you answer.”

“Look up” comes from the Hebrew root word, “Mizpeh”, or “watchtower”. The Psalmist looks up for the answer to his prayer as the seer on his tower (Hab 2:1) looks up for his inspiration.

Confidence. Hope. Faith. Expectation.
The way in which the believer is supposed to be postured.

Because I wonder often if we’re too busy in the mode of supplication to focus on the movement of the Savior. Are we leaning in... staying watchful to what He’s doing?

My commentary says, “We sow the seed, and are too idle to seek a harvest.” It goes on to say, “How can we expect the Lord to open the windows of His grace, and pour us out a blessing, if we will not open the windows of expectation and look for the promised favor?”

Our petitions must produce in us a holy expectation for His goodness and grace and love and mercy. Micah 7:7 says, “As for me, I look to the Lord for help. I wait confidently for God to save me, and my God will certainly hear me.”

Oh that I would daily learn to pray boldly. May I seek after Him as one who is deeply dissatisfied with anything less than His recognizable voice as He swiftly answers the cries of my heart.

I wait. And watch. With a heart set ablaze for Your rescue.

No comments:

Post a Comment