Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Speak Life

I heard it recently in a sermon I was listening to from Bill Johnson of Bethel Church. He said this, “A culture of honor is where you celebrate who a person is without stumbling over who they’re not.”

Umm... yeah. That.

More of that please.

Oh.. and I’m preaching to myself on this one too. Always the preaching to self first.

Because it’s something I’ve been reflecting on. And now especially that a new year is upon us. A new slate. A fresh start. Almost feels like a do-over. Another chance to get it right.

And my heart hurt when I heard her say it. A momma about her child. “This one will never be be that good.” And then again I heard it from another about her husband, “Oh he would never do that for me!” And yet again I heard it from a person plagued by bitterness who spoke the words of our country’s leader, “He’s an idiot who can’t do anything right.”

And I’ve said it too. I’m just as guilty. And about myself at times. “I’m not that smart! I’ll never be good at that! I can’t do it!”

And the truth is, words are powerful.

They bring life... or death.
They build up... or tear down.
They encourage hope... or infuse disappointment.

Words matter.

I remember being told as a young adult that I couldn’t speak at a public venue because I’d never had formal training and perhaps someone with a “college degree” would be the better choice.
And it did something to me.

And there’s not a single time I’m standing in front of a crowd that I don’t think about that day almost 25 years ago.

So today I make a declaration to change the way I see people. And the way I speak life over them.
I will choose to speak into existence the person I believe they can be & long to be.
To the young adult consistently making unwise choices I will speak life: “You are smart and filled with godly discernment!”

To the mom finding it difficult to love a wayward child: “You have such beautiful patience & brimming to overflow with grace and love!”
To the child under-performing to their abilities: “You are so intelligent! You are going to do BIG things someday!”

By the words we choose to speak, we get to bring life that changes the trajectory of another’s journey!

Today... and every day... let’s choose to SPEAK LIFE! It all matters!

No comments:

Post a Comment