Monday, February 11, 2019

Grace Trumps Assumptions

I saw it late on a weekend night. What appeared to be hate being spewed in my direction. And at first glance it nearly took my breath away. Because a heart seeking hard after Jesus is vulnerable to breaking when insults and accusations appear as fiery darts out of nowhere.

And even when godliness is the aim, our flesh-wrapped soul’s immediate response is often riddled with defensiveness and retaliation. So many times it’s easier to repay than to resist what has been intentioned as a distraction right from hell itself.

And so with prayer pleading for a heart filled with grace, I choose the wiser path. Albeit never easy. Because hasn’t we just been studying it in small group that same week. A command from God: “be holy because I am holy.”

And could this be a testing directly from the One who has given clear instructions on living a life more Christlike than worldlike?

Because the truth really is that He left is with two things: 1.) an assignment and 2.) the ability to do the assignment.

And choosing the path to grace is always better.

Because we make assumptions all the time. Assumptions that they “just don’t like me” or “they’re only out to get me” or “that was intentioned to hurt me.” But assumptions are never the healthy way of living. Assumptions are violently dangerous.

Showing grace, being willing to hear the full story, especially in the midst of the heartbreak, has the ability to radically transform our perspective and exceedingly strengthen our spiritual walk.
And we’re always better by choosing the better way. The Jesus way.

And so I pray it again this week: “God help me to become a person who is nervous to make assumptions but delighted to hear Your voice!” Because my hope must remain not in what they say, but in what You’ve said and are saying.

And grace always always always wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment