Thursday, April 25, 2019

What We Say Matters

What we say matters.
The words that leave our lips are more important than we think.

1 Peter 3:9 says, "Don’t repay evil for evil. Don’t retaliate with insults when people insult you. Instead, pay them back with a blessing. That is what God has called you to do, and he will grant you his blessing."

In the KJV there's an interesting way the verse begins, "Not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise blessing..."

The Greek for "not" here is a strong prohibition to "stop something that is already in progress." In other words, "STOP! Don't do it anymore! You should never have started!"

And the truth really is that a right response from me... from you... especially in the face of adversity can change everything!

For me it goes back to that sticky note I have hanging in various spots of my house, "Help me to get this right." 

I must get it right.

My spiritual growth is dependent on it.

We must begin thinking about the words coming from our mouths.

Do they speak LIFE to our situation?
Or do they speak DEATH?

I must bridle my tongue.
I must choose words that encourage and uplift and motivate.

1 Peter 3 goes on to say if I want to enjoy life and see good days, I must, "keep my mouth from speaking evil."

Ahh yes... so there's a connection between inward joy and outward speech?

Yes!

Guard your words. Protect the integrity of your heart. Keep close watch over what you say.
It matters!

No comments:

Post a Comment