Thursday, May 2, 2019

Pillar By Day and Night


I saw her this morning. It was early and I was on my way to get coffee before I start my busy day. And when I saw her I had to smile. There she was with her little one in the front seat next to her. On their way to school, no doubt. And maybe a stop for a quick breakfast. Maybe not. Her face looked very focused and her mind was likely running a million miles an hour. Like mine. And I wonder if she, too, was thinking my same thoughts. “How will I get it all done?” “Don’t forget this.” “Oh and I can’t forget to pick this up.” “Remember to make a note of that when you get home or you’ll forget.” I wonder if maybe the thoughts were bigger than that. “Will the doctor call back today?” “I really don’t want to sign the papers he had sent to me yesterday that are still sitting on the kitchen table.” “What other bill can I put off paying this month?”

Because the truth really is that we all have a story. Each and every one of us. And we all carry around a weight that’s heavy. A burden that’s too much to handle.

And I think about it again. The words I presented to my ministry team at dinner on Tuesday night. Old Testament is still so reverent today! “The Lord went ahead of them. He guided them during the day with a pillar of cloud, and He provided light at night with a pillar of fire. This allowed them to travel by day or night.” (Ex 13:21)

The pillar was a signal and a guide. When it moved, the people moved. And when it stopped, they stopped.


And surely this was not what the Israelites expected. They had the promise of the land they would possess in their minds. And it should have been a straight shot there.

But God.

In all of His grace and wisdom He would take them a, “roundabout way through the wilderness.” My commentary says it was, “the outer edge of the wilderness.”

A detour.

Because this wasn't what you expected.
This wasn't what you imagined the journey would look like.

But God.

He is always always always good… and He is always working on our behalf.

It’s Divine Guidance.

Even when we can’t see past the problem of today.

He has a better vantage point. His view is much more visible than our limited eyesight.

Yes, indeed, He loves us enough to provide for us what we don’t even know we need.

A pillar of cloud by day - so we don’t faint in the heat of the hot sun.
A pillar of fire by night - so we don’t freeze in the bitter temperatures of darkness.

And looking at the woman I smiled. And I prayed for her.

Because she has a story too. And my prayer is that she would KNOW how much He loves her and how amazing His provision is for her.


Don’t miss an opportunity to tell someone else today the truth of His Word.

Everyone needs to know.

Let’s not rush through life so fixated on our own matters and our own circumstances that we miss the chance to love on the other one He died for. The other one who may be walking alone. The other one who’s story matters too.

You are more valuable in the Kingdom than you will ever know!

No comments:

Post a Comment