Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Perpetual Covenant

Psalm 50, verse 5 says this, "Bring My faithful people to Me- those who have made a covenant with Me by giving sacrifices."

Ahh... sacrifice.

It's a challenging word for many, and yet so necessary for us to grab a hold of.
And I used to think of this word in terms of what I could do for God. The ways I could serve Him and do good for Him.

And perhaps that's part of it... but sacrifice unto the Lord is so much more than doing and striving.

Sometimes it's just being.
Being faithful.
Being steadfast.
Being present.

Sometimes it's simply taking delight in doing what He has called you to do in the moment He's called you to do it.
Psalm 40:6 says this, "You do not take delight in sacrifices or offerings..." and then in verse 8 it says, "I take joy in doing Your will, my God, for Your instructions are written on my heart."

Yes this.
Oh that His instructions would be written on our hearts.
Oh that we would find delight in doing that which He has called us to do.

But it's going to require sacrifice.
It's going to require us saying no to some things, so we can say the better yes to Jesus.
It's going to require us letting go of the plans we made, so we can surrender fully to His greater purpose.

Sacrifice itself is when all manner of comfort has been refused. It's being able to find peace when conflict has entered in. It's perceiving light when darkness has taken over.

Sacrifice is saying yes when everybody else is saying no.

My commentary suggests that it's a "perpetual covenant" to God.

Perpetual means this = continuing or enduring forever; everlasting; without intermission or interruption; blooming almost continuously throughout the year.

Oh yes!
This!

I want to renew my yes to the Father every single day.
I want to maintain a PERPETUAL covenant with Him.
Because I long to continue in faithfulness, enduring to the end, and blooming all year long.

Don't you?

Let's make it our practice starting today to have a perpetual covenant with the Lord through Jesus daily.

Oh how it matters!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment