Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Steward Your Time Sensibly

I used to get frustrated when I would wake up in the middle of the night. For me, I find absolutely no problem falling asleep in the evening. In fact, a sure way to secure an early bedtime for me is to put on a movie. It doesn't matter what time it is or how good the movie is. I fall asleep about 98% of the time.

But if I get up in the night, whether it's at 1 a.m. or 4 a.m., I have a hard time falling back to sleep.

Once I am up, I tend to be up. At least for a while.

Several months ago I was going through a season where I would wake up, almost like clockwork, every single night, multiple times a night. And for no reason at all. I would just find myself wide awake and fully alert.
In that season I felt like God was prompting me to pray.

It took me a little bit to grab a hold of what He was asking, but when I did I finally began to see the power of praying in the night.

And with praying in the night, much peace came.

Jesus gave us an example of praying in the night hours. Luke 6:12 says, "One day afterward Jesus went up on a mountain to pray, and He prayed to God all night."

Jacob wrestled in prayer in the night. Genesis 32:24 says, "... a man came and wrestled with him until dawn began to break."

David knew what it mean to contend for breakthrough in the night. Psalm 55:17 says this, "Morning, noon, and night I cry out in distress and the Lord hears my voice."

Acts 16:25 records two faith-filled men, Paul and Silas, singing in the midnight hour as they lay chained in prison. "Around midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening."

Psalm 119:148 says this beautifully, "I stay awake through the night thinking about Your promise."

I have made it a habit to keep a list of God's promises on my nightstand. And if I wake up or if I struggle with sleep, I recall and recount the goodness of God over my life and the lives of those I love.

Sometimes it's just saying it over and over and over again until sleep is restored, "Thank You, Jesus. Thank you."

I encourage you to develop a habit that fixes your mind on Him. Challenge yourself to create a pattern that positions you to use idle time sensibly.

It will truly be a blessing to you in your relationship with Him.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment