Friday, September 20, 2019

In Jesus' Name!

And just like that a scripture you've read a hundred times it feels like, comes alive before your eyes! So much so you stop and take a closer look and can't remove yourself from it for days.

Colossians 1:17 in The Passion Translation says this, "Let every activity of your lives, and every word that comes from your lips be drenched with the beauty of our Lord, Jesus, the Anointed One. And bring your constant praise to God the Father because of what Christ has done for you."

So many things comes alive in this passage.
Like "every activity", "every word", "drenched", and "constant praise."

And I wanted to think on this for a bit
"Every activity" and "every word."
Ahh... Word and Works.
Working in tandem. All aiming to glorify God.

The KJV says we are to, "do all in the name of the Lord Jesus..." "To do in His name" means:
1.) That we refer all to His glory.
2.) That we act in accordance for His will for our lives.
3.) That we live in compete confidence in Him and maintain complete dependence on Him.

We carry out "in the name of Jesus" by:
1.) The authority of Jesus (Acts 3:6)
2.) For the sake of Jesus (Mark 9:41)
3.) For the glory of Jesus (Acts 15:26)

And so it begs the question for my own life, and I ponder what it means for every activity of mine to be drenched in His beauty. Because it is my words and words that are being evaluated by the One who meets me where I am, but longs to take me further.

Every activity.
Every word.

And I write it in my journal on an early Thursday morning: Can I say that I DO all things and SAY all things in the name of Jesus?
Is my motive of self-centeredness, or do my actions glorify the Father? Because motive governs our actions and determines them good or bad.

And admittedly I have allowed dishonoring things to become habit at times. I've heard the words leave my own lips:
"I'm so stupid."
"This is ridiculous."
"I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired."

I've witnessed irrational behavior in my own life.... things like complaining about slow service, becoming increasingly impatient in mid-day traffic, and allowing bitterness to settle within my spirit over a disappointing circumstance in my life.

And I wonder, now, after re-reading the words of Paul, if I can say and do things differently. Because it's hard to advance in the Kingdom if I insist on actions and verbiage that are inconsistent with the order, "do all in the name of the Lord Jesus."

Try it.

"I am stupid... in the name of Jesus"
"I am sick and tired of being sick and tired... in the name of Jesus."
"You are an idiot... in the name of Jesus."
"This is a joke... in the name of Jesus."

Sounds unreasonable and pretty ridiculous doesn't it?

It is our obligation to recognize Jesus in everything, rely on Jesus at all times, and revere Jesus with supreme devotion.
I write it so my eyes can see:
Ultimate Recognition.
Absolute Reliability.
Supreme Reverence.

I read it in my commentary that Christians are to be "possessed by love."
Oh yes!
And it alters everything when my actions and my words are drenched in the love of Jesus. All of my words and works are automatically redirected to godliness when I am possessed by love!

And so my experiment on a Thursday is to document my activities - all filtered through the lens of "In Jesus' Name."

I write it on my hand, rehearse the words of the beloved Apostle, and zero in on the sweet desire of our Jesus... "do all in the name of the Lord Jesus."

Making the bed - yes that! "In Jesus' name!"
Getting ready for my day - even that! "In Jesus' name!"
Doing the laundry - that too! "In Jesus' name!"
Taking necessary medication - yep! "In Jesus' name!"
Eating breakfast - this one too! "In Jesus' name!"
Doing chores - even that! "In Jesus' name!"
Making to-do lists - yes! "In Jesus' name!"
Showing loving kindness to neighbors - oh yes! "In Jesus' name!"
Taking care of those you've been entrusted to love - absolutely! "In Jesus' name!"
Speaking life and love to your spouse - for sure! "In Jesus' name!"

I declare it over my life today: I will honor God by doing all things... all things... ALL things in JESUS' name!

It really really matters!












No comments:

Post a Comment