Monday, October 21, 2019

Jealousy: Misguided Wisdom

Jealousy is a sensitive subject.  I think it’s sensitive because it hits home with a lot of us.  Many can relate to the feelings of suspicion, resentment, and envy well.  For me, I know the sting of jealousy, and the pain caused by it’s position during different seasons in my life.

James 3:14-15 says this, “… if you are bitterly jealous and there is selfish ambition in your heart, don’t cover up the truth with boasting and lying.  For jealousy and selfishness are not God’s kind of wisdom. Such things are earthly, unspiritual, and demonic.”

I think it’s interesting that the Bible calls jealousy here “wisdom.”  “For jealousy and selfishness are not God’s KIND of wisdom.”

The Passion Translation calls it, “wisdom of this world.”

The wisdom that this verse is referring to is worldly wisdom which produces strife or contention… the kind of knowledge which leads to self-conceit, and promotes a man to an elevated position which requires knowledge to get there.

My extended biblical dictionary actually says that jealousy is the, “apprehension of superiority.”  Meaning, I believe, to do whatever it takes to advance superiorly over someone else.  To obtain any carnal wisdom necessary to supersede anothers reputation, and to place yourself in power over their position.

In other words… advancing my authority in light of my inferiority to the perceived favor on your life… is kept alive by more information.  I must seek to obtain knowledge (not wisdom) that reinforces my position of offense and in doing so secures me in my conclusion of being jealous.

Jealously is wisdom… it’s just misguided wisdom…. inferior wisdom… worldly wisdom that does nothing for my spiritual soul. It keeps me bonded to bitterness, anger, discontent, fear, isolation, resentment, and equips me only to “win arguments” as opposed to “winning souls” to Christ.

The wisdom which we must possess is wisdom that propels me toward holiness and Christlikeness.  Ahh… my aim is always to look more like Jesus.  Because jealousy is not seen evident in His character, it must not be seen in mine.





No comments:

Post a Comment