Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Mismanaged Repetition

For about a week now I have been dealing with this strange pain in my right wrist. It’s a dull ache, really, and has gotten so bad that it’s difficult to perform daily routine tasks. I mentioned it to my husband several times, and even began to be concerned over it’s debilitating affect this past weekend.
And then I noticed something yesterday. During a routine chore I realized it and the origin of the infirmity became clear.

As I reached for the detergent from the back of a countertop in our laundry room I felt it. A twinge of pain that intensified with this single movement. I suddenly became aware of the source of affliction and began, immediately, to think of ways to eliminate the effort causing injury.

And it got me thinking about the decisions we often make - consciously and, more frightening, unconsciously - that negatively affect our spiritual growth.

Because the truth really is that when we do something long enough, it becomes habit. And habits that aren't always prosperous and beneficial.

Often times we continue in a pattern of poor choices that jeopardize our improvement and influence.
Repeating a pattern of gossip often leads to a reputation that cannot be recovered.
Repeating a rhythm of negative speech often leads to an inability to discover joy in your day.
Repeating a principle of complaining often leads to a life riddled with discontent and envy.
Repeating a cycle of unforgiveness often leads to the removal of grace and replaces it with the discomfort of bitterness and anger.

And so it begs the question: What am I exposing myself to? What evil am I living so impressed with that it has a place of authority in my life? What hostility am I being so influenced by that it’s creating a harmful atmosphere, and as a result becoming injurious to my very soul?

Because truth for me, at least, is that mismanaged repetition often leads to unnecessary affliction. It often leads to a disability I didn’t even see coming because I wasn’t paying close enough attention.
But it matters.

It matters what I’m being exposed to.
It matters what relationships I’m choosing.
It matters what I’m focusing on.
It matters who I’m listening to.

It matters more than we think.

Manage well the things you’re doing now so you can avoid the inevitable distress that comes from duplicated derailment.

No comments:

Post a Comment