Tuesday, October 22, 2019

One of the things I teach in a monthly bible journaling class I lead is to read through the Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke & John) at least 4 times every year.

Why?

Because they give us great insight into the life of Jesus.

And it’s so necessary that we know His nature.  His character.
It’s so important that we review the things He did and the things He said.
And to review them consistently.
When we look to the Jesus of the Bible, we are inspired by His life.  We can live encouraged by the example He left us with.

Because the assignment was made clear in Acts, chapter 1, verse 8: “… you will be My witnesses…”

We will be witnesses.
We will bear witness.

You and I were called to tell the story of Jesus.
You and I were called to promote the name of Jesus.
You and I were called to advance the Kingdom by declaring the goodness of the Lord.
To reveal His nature.
To display His character.
To His promote His righteous reputation.

And yet so often we are found living reactionary to our circumstances, and not in response to His character.

And perhaps it’s because we don’t yet know well enough the character of Christ.
Because if we knew He was faithful we might not carry around with us so much doubt.
If we knew how merciful He was we might not extend such impatience and unforgiveness onto  others.
If we knew how dependable He was we might let go of the disappointment we find among human frailty this side of eternity.
If we knew how compassionate He was we might choose a higher degree of tolerance over imperfections, especially those we see in ourselves.

When we are completely anchored into the heart of Jesus… when we allow our heart to beat the same way His beats.. we have reason to celebrate regardless of the conditions we find ourselves currently living in.  Because my affections aren’t in the problem… they're in His promises.  And they begin to alter the choices I make and the way I chose to live my life.

When things are difficult… when the season is painful.. my reaction to challenges I face should be in response to His nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment