Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Remember And Remind

Admission: I used to find myself frustrated when I would encounter godly men and women failing in the faith. I would see the work they had once devoted to following Jesus, and then get myself so... almost... disgusted by their setback.

If you are following along in our daily devotions, today's in a reading from Mark 8:18 when Jesus was asking His disciples why they couldn't see and why they couldn't hear. He follows it up with, "can you remember?"

To me this is like Jesus is saying - "I know you can't see what I am doing now and I know you can't hear because of the current state of unbelief you're living in.... but can you do yourself a favor and at least remember?"

An excerpt from my writing today says this:
"Jesus seems here to be unusually impatient. And even in his impatience, He is still very very kind. And instead of blatant shame and disregard, He attributes their slowness of perception and comprehension and distrust mainly to forgetfulness."

And that had been me - impatient. And of course all stemming from an authentic heart who simply desires for others to have the same kind of experience with Jesus as I have.

But Jesus sets the example for us all... and He is lovingly kind. And in that kindness He gently invites us to... remember.

Because sometimes people forget.
Sometimes even great heroes of faith fall short.
"But the disciples had forgotten." (Mark 8:14)
Sometimes even the most well-intentioned followers of Jesus need to be reminded that He is good... that He is faithful... that He never leaves. And that He is whispering to us from the wearily traveled road to stay. Stay with Him. Stay in the game. Stay with Jesus.

And in our own remembering the assignment is to remind others too.

So this is your reminder today, friends.
He has been so faithful.
He has been so merciful.

And He can sleep in the boat (Mark 4:38) because He doesn't see storms the same way we do. And He's in control of the very one you may find yourself in today.

He's crazy, madly, passionately in love with you, friend.

Together, let's remember and remind.





No comments:

Post a Comment