Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Recite and Reflect


Psalm 119 is so rich.  I almost feel as though despite the fact I’ve read it and reread it over and over, new revelation is continually being poured out through the sweet words of this chapter.

Verse 11 says this, “I have hidden Your Word in my heart that I might not sin against You.”

Hidden here is to “protect.”

The Psalmist is saying, “I have buried God’s very words deep down into the very center of my being, and placed them down into the very roots of my life, and there I have incorporated them into my very soul.”

Hiding God’s Word in our hearts is the secret to living a godly life.  The word positioned correctly into the heart for protection, is for the very purpose of affecting our character and thus our actions.

Because it’s only when we have the word of God planted in our hearts that we are able to properly respond to all of life’s circumstances.

The Psalmist goes on to say these words, “I have recited aloud all the regulations You have given us.” (verse 13) and, “I will study Your commandments and reflect on Your ways.” (verse 15)

The Message version says it like this, “I’ll transfer to my lips all the counsel that comes from Your mouth.” (verse 13) and, “I ponder every morsel of wisdom from You, I attentively watch how You’ve done it.” (verse 15)

The Passion Translation says it this way, “I speak continually of Your laws as I recite out loud Your counsel to me.” (verse 13) and, “I set my heart on Your precepts and pay close attention to all Your ways.”

Hiding the Word of God in our hearts promotes holiness and prevents sin.  It’s been given to us as a roadmap for life and is the manual for those who seek, authentically, after righteousness.  But at the very core is an unequivocal prototype for godliness as seen in the life of our Jesus.

Because wasn’t it He who said the very words to His students, “I don’t speak on My own authority. The Father who sent Me has commanded Me what to say and how to say it.”  (John 12:49) and, “He (Jesus) does only what He sees the Father doing. Whatever the Father does, the Son also does.”  (John 5:19)

I must say ONLY what I hear the Father saying, “recite all the regulations.” and I must do ONLY what I see the Father doing, “study Your commands and reflect on Your ways.”

And without hiding, “protecting well”, what He has spoken, this will be impossible.

And so I make a declaration today… “I am single-minded in pursuit of You.” (verse 10, MSG).  Teach me Your words… train me in Your ways… I long to better demonstrate Jesus to a watching world.

No comments:

Post a Comment