Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Carrying Him Well

I had almost stumbled upon it in my quiet time.
A familiar story.

King David had one primary concern when he became King over Israel, and that was to restore the Ark of the Covenant.  It had long been neglected in Saul’s reign, and so it became David’s first order of business as the newly elected official.

The Ark of the Covenant was designed to be a symbol of the presence of God in the midst of His people. 

“Have the people of Israel build Me a holy sanctuary so I can live among them.”  God said in Exodus 25:8.  And following were distinct instructions for building such a sacred chest that house within it stone tablets that contained the terms of the covenant which God had given to His chosen people.

God continues in verse 22, saying, “I will meet with you there and talk to you from above the atonement cover between the gold cherubim that hover over the Ark…”

But there were also pretty important instructions for how to carry the Ark… that was to reside inside the tabernacle… the most holy place.. the temporary means by which the Israelites could enjoy God’s presence without being destroyed by it (25:8).

These instructions are found in Ex 25:10-15, and include the description of “carrying poles” that were to be used when transporting the Ark (just another name for box), so that no one would touch this holy representation of God’s powerful presence.

And there’s this strange story that takes place in 1 Chronicles 13.
David consults with his officials and everyone agrees that it was time to return the Ark of the Covenant back to Jerusalem which was to reestablish the worship and reverence of God.
They placed the Ark of God on a new cart with two men by the name of Ahio and Uzzah guiding the cart.
Verse 9-10 tell us this, “But when they arrived at the threshing floor of Nacon, the oxen stumbled, and Uzzah reached out his hand to steady the Ark. Then the Lord’s anger was aroused against Uzzah, and he struck him dead because he had laid his hand on the Ark. So Uzzah died there in the presence of God.”

Strange story.
Hard read.
But disobedience none the less.

And I was stopped in my tracks when I read it in my bible, “David failed in his first attempt to bring the Ark to Jerusalem because he and the Levites did not seek to carry the Ark properly.”

He failed to carry the presence properly.
And what became of the disobedience… the neglect of proper transportation?
It should shake us to the core to answer.

But my bible (notes) continues… “Undeterred, and with PROPER PREPARATION, David later brought the Ark successfully back to Jerusalem, where Israel celebrated in worship and song.”

Undeterred and with proper preparation.
A second chance for the King who would be described as a, “man after God’s own heart.”

And so for me it becomes a question so serious that I must keep it in front of my eyes every single day of my life: “Am I carrying Him well?”
In other words - am I representing Him effectively?
Do I hold Him as the highest value of my life?
Do others see Him when they look at me?
Do I adequately express His nature in my words and works?

I must learn how to carry Him well.
It really is a matter of life… and death.

And today I thank Him for the privilege of carrying Him into every room I enter as to affect the atmosphere with His holy presence.

It really really matters!!


No comments:

Post a Comment