Thursday, December 5, 2019

Jesus Longs To Hear Your Voice!

There’s a cute little quote floating about Pinterest land that says, “If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans.”

And while it’s humorous and somewhat accurate, I don’t know that it’s 100% theologically sound.

The operative word here might be “plans”, and to that I would tend to partially agree.
We make plans all the time for things that might not “align” with His will for our lives.

But there’s, what I believe to be, a “more true” truth which resides on the same side of the coin.

And that is this: I believe God longs to hear what we’re dreaming about.

I remember in the early days of my ministry.  Looking back it feels so much like a “striving.”
And maybe it was.
Striving to know His will.
Striving to hear His voice.
Striving to understand His plan.

Certainly what I was NEVER in lack of was passion and zeal.

But in my constant pursuit of what HE wanted, I failed to see it through the lens of my own desires.  The ones HE had planted there.

While He doesn’t need to know our plans, is surely not impressed by our demands, and not necessarily influenced by our requests, He is, I believe, affected by our dreams, and longs to hear our voice.

Scripture tells us all throughout the Bible of God listening to His children.  Attentively.  Deliberately.  Faithfully.  Vigilantly.

Once Jesus asked those closest to Him what others were saying about Him.  Not because He needed to know.  He was fully God.  But because He was interested in his students communicating perspective.

Psalm 66:19 says this, “But God did listen!  He paid attention to my prayer.”
John 9:31 says, “… He is ready to hear those who worship Him and do His will.”
1 John 5:15 says, “And since we know He hears us when we make our requests, we also know that He will give us what we ask for.”

He is a good Father.
And like so many good earthly Fathers He longs to hear from His children.

When my daughter was little and she would share her dreams with me, it delighted me to know her heart.  It gave me great joy to know that in her very soul resided goals and hopes and dreams for a beautiful future.  I didn’t turn her away and tell her that it didn't align with all I had planned for her.  And no matter how ridiculous the desire of her heart might have been, I faithfully encouraged her to pursue what she wanted with great diligence.  Why?  Because I love her.  And because the heart of a parent is always to support dreams any way they can.

He longs to hear from you today.  He longs to know what you’re thinking about… what you’re dreaming about… what kinds of ambitions and desires you possess.  After all - He put them there.

He doesn’t ask to know - but He longs to hear you speak!




No comments:

Post a Comment